Monday, April 20, 2009

Our "school" room

I've been working really hard to get our school room unpacked. This room was somewhat difficult because there is a lot of stuff that doesn't have a place to go, like projects we were in the middle of working on when we packed up. Another challenge has been where to put the things that used to go in my most wonderful homeschool closet from our old house, that I specifically designed for that purpose! I don't have a closet like that in this house. So I have little totes full of glue and paint and craft stuff that can't just be out in the open for curious hands to get into... for now that stuff is in the laundry room and on top of the freezer! Let me give you a little tour:
Welcome to our school room. This here is where the three older children do their independent school work. Their computers aren't set up yet and their personal books are just sort of piled there, but this is still the basic set up.This here is our library. The two larger shelves are primarily fiction and non-fiction with some reference books and a few science DVD's. The two smaller shelves hold curriculum, from preschool through 8th grade. Here you can see my desk, which is covered with stuff that I don't know where to put yet...Also that white board is a new addition as I've found I need something to illustrate different writing techniques on, plus it's magnetic so I think it will be handy for other things we need to display from time to time. That's a gas fire place that you see. We will likely use that often this winter. This room is in the basement and through the windows is our backyard. Oh, I almost forgot to comment on that table. I'm going to use that table for Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum Taffy in the morning and the older Taffy's in the afternoon when we are doing unit work in History, Writing, Latin and Drill work. I need a couple more chairs still.This is my little scrapbook/sewing corner of the room. When we lived here long ago I also had my scrapbook stuff here. The screws were still in the wood to hang up that shelf! Talk about convenient! This room is a pretty good size to hold all this furniture. Off this room is the playroom, where most of the toys are. Also down here in the basement are my older son's room and the laundry room.
This is the VERY LAST box of homeschool stuff that I need to unpack. At this point I really have no idea where I'm going to put that stuff so I just closed off the box and stuck it against the wall. I'll reopen it when the mood strikes! But for now we are ready to roll and should be back to book-learning very soon! I hope you enjoyed the tour!
Joyfully,
Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. Wow,

    Now this is what I call "gusto blogging." Three posts in one day and its not even noon.

    The space will all work out in the long run!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks beautiful!!!!!!

    I need more book shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a dream of mine to have a nice big organized room dedicated solely to homeschooling instead of the kitchen table! I love how organized you are! Everything looks fantastic! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tirzah,

    It was years before I had a designated homeschool room, now that I am teaching 5 children it's more necessary, but we used the kitchen table for years too! In some ways it's better because you can do something in the kitchen while they are working! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!