Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Waking up in the dark


She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants. Proverbs 31:15


This is the scripture I go to bed thinking about. It is my goal each morning to get up before the rest of my family. Here's how it goes for me. I wake up between 5 & 5:30. Get right into the shower and get myself completely ready for the day, including make-up! Then I go downstairs, start the coffee, turn on the Christian Radio station and make breakfast. Around 6:15 I start waking up children, one by one, oldest to youngest, so that they can take a shower if they need too. We have breakfast at 7. I have found that when I do this faithfully, wake up before the children and in the quiet of "night" get focused on my day to start serving my family, we all have a much better day. The morning goes smoother, there is less chaos and we get more accomplished in a day. It leaves us time to read the Word together as a family and it makes us (me) ready for any change of plan that may come up in the morning.


I've had to re-train myself in this discipline recently because while we were moving and traveling, I DID NOT get up while it was still night. It's true, even in the hotels I woke up first, but I was pretty lax and usually the last one down to breakfast.

So this morning for breakfast I made my family something good. And this time I mean it!


Here's our favorite healthy pancake recipe:

4 cups whole wheat flour

2 tsp. salt

8 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon (opt)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg (opt)

4 Tbls. Raw Sugar or Honey (opt)

4 eggs

2 1/3 cup milk

2 tsp. pure vanilla (opt)

4 tsp. olive oil (opt)


Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients, mix well. Make them like you normally make pancakes. Sometimes I add mashed bananas if I have over-ripe ones around and these are great with blueberries too.


Our list of toppings include:

pure maple syrup

blueberry syrup

raspberry jam (homemade)

butter

powdered sugar

cinnamon sugar

natural peanut butter


On the side we had scrambled eggs with turkey-ham and cheese. I thought some protein would do my growing boys some good. The nice thing about whole wheat pancakes is that they are more filling and keep them full longer, so there are a few left over for snacks or another breakfast someday! So I guess really I fulfilled both parts of that scripture, my household and my maidservants (my freezer is storing some leftovers for me!).


Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. Man, you're an inspiration! I truly wish I could make myself more disciplined to get up early like that. Thanks for sharing that recipe. I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!
    I woke up at 9:30 this morning,, I"ll try harder tomorrow :)
    (that is if baby sleeps better tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...what you say is so true! I used to hate getting up "early", which wasn't very early. I was alwasy inspired by you and now since our life has changed so much and we have no choice but to get up because of milking the cows I've grown to love it!

    I have just recently decided to get up my maiden and knight after I shower so they can get ready and help with morning chores...they actually look forward to it and I make it extra special by making all of us tea to sip as we bustle around the kitchen...great memories!

    We are all happier and ready for the day. I would encourage all of your readers to get up while it is still dark and get ready for the day the Lord has made...it's wonderful - I promise! Your family we be so blessed by it...but start with something easy for your first morning - like yogurts and fruit with hot chocolate or oatmeal with real cream...make it fun and special!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!