Friday, July 24, 2009

Peach Long Cake

I think I posted this recipe on my old blog, but I thought I'd share it here on this blog since it's so yummy and peaches are becoming abundant again. This recipe comes from an Amish cookbook, but I have changed it up to make it more healthy and a little bit more flavorful.

4 cups peaches sliced (fresh or canned)
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice

Dough-
2 cups freshly ground pastry flour, packed (or regular white flour)
4 tsp. baking powder
6 Tbsp. evaporated cane juice or raw sugar if you like that crunch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup organic non-soy based shortening
1 large egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk

1. Sprinkle sugar over sliced peaches and set aside.
2. Combine dry ingredients and whisk them together. Cut in shortening. Add egg and milk, stir until moistened. Spread dough in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Arrange peach slices over dough.

Topping-
1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
3 Tbsp. pastry flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cream topping ingredients together and drop by spoonfuls over peaches. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Serve with warm milk or whipped cream! Yum! The dough has a Bisquick texture, crumbly like. Very delicious! I had the dishes all washed while it was baking and we ate it HOT!

Happy Summer,
Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for giving us your best recipies! The girls are always so excited when I tell them I have one of "YOUR" new recipies to try out! Guess what we're having this weekend??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You "must" try this, it's really good...

    Banana Taffy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!