Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A visit with the Grandparent's!

We've had a full and wonderful day today! My mom arrived late last night, all the way from Michigan where they were dropping off my little brother at Hillsdale College (I am just slightly proud of him!). The day started with a million hugs and squeals of delight along with Farmer Casserole, Pumpkin Bread and Cantaloupe. Then we spent the morning visiting and playing and planning the rest of the day. For lunch we had warm bread (straight from the oven) and Honduras burritos, along with these funny "apple teeth" that my mom made for the kids. After lunch the boys went to an old train station in St. Paul called Bandana Square. They have a huge toy train exhibit there along with real trains outside. Chocolate Taffy took the pictures for me.


While the boys were away we girls made cards. My mom is an amazing card maker and I get so creatively stumped when looking at a piece of white paper. So she gave us good ideas at card making and showed me how to make tags. It was so fun! Laffy was napping and Bubble Gum just made cards right along with us. Every one she made she gave to her Grandpa Phil! Isn't he blessed? After card making we had an impromptu tea party, complete with apples, left over pumpkin bread and celebration cookies. The boys got back while we were cleaning up. So we headed over to our local Farmer's Market which my mom LOVED! I bought beets, brussel sprouts, tomatoes and butternut squash. While we were at the market the boys started a mean game of Risk--Banana Taffy KICKED THEIR BUTTS! :o)
For dinner we had enchiladas, rice, beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa and tortilla chips. We all crawled away from the table! oomph! My step-dad is a retired park ranger for the state of Washington. Before being the Chief of park rangers he was a teacher of police officers and police officer before that! Banana Taffy got some nice one on one time with him, asking him questions and getting his advice for his educational career in regards to being a cop. It was great and both of them are excited!
After dinner we had more play time, then I put the little ones to bed and us older children watched National Treasure II together. Since my mom and Phil had just driven through South Dakota and had visited Mt. Rushmore, I thought it appropriate--and they had never seen it before!
They leave tomorrow, after breakfast. We will be sad to see them go, but have enjoyed them so much and are so thankful for this time, albeit short, it's better than nothing!!
Joyfully,
Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. those apple teeth. Too funny! I'll definitely have to remember these and make them sometime. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had such a great time too! Can you tell by the HUGE smile on my face all the time? Sometimes the short visits are the very best, all the joy is condensed into one rich memory.

    Grandpa wants to see the rest of the train trip photos too!

    We feel fat but it was worth it! You really know how to treat your guests. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!