Friday, November 20, 2009

Thrifty Friday

A couple things to share...Sunday we are going to an orchestra preformance, my sister-in-law won free tickets so Strawberry and I get a girl's day out! We thought it would be wonderful for Strawberry to have something new to wear so we stopped at our local Goodwill. We were so blessed because they had all green tags marked down to $1.49. This is what we found for her! It was sold as an outfit so the whole thing was $1.49!! What a deal! I also found some nice sweaters for my teens that they will be able to wear for our Christmas pictures and special occasions, also $1.49 each!
I want to share one of my favorite frugal recipes with you. I make these once a week, either for breakfast or a snack. The orginal recipe comes from a book called Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy. I've changed the recipe and renamed it: Chocolate Banana Muffins.
3 cups pastry flour-not packed (you can use regular white flour too)
1 cup evaporated cane juice (organic sugar)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup apple juice (I've juiced my own and also used a couple juice boxes)
1/2 cup water (or use more apple juice for more flavor)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 T. vinegar (any type)
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2-3 mashed bananas ( I'm thinking shredded zuchinni would probably work too)
handful of chocolate chips-just enough to make the children think there's chocolate in there.
Chopped up dates-(sneaky food)
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. In a seperate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, add bananas, chocolate chips and dates. Mix until blended, but be careful not to overmix.
Pour into greased or paper-lined muffins tins. Bake at 375 for 18 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.
If you've been reading my blog for a while you might recognize this recipe. It was on my old blog and I copied the picture off of it. I'm about to delete my old blog so I'm going to start transferring some recipes over to this one!
Happy Friday!
Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. That outfit is so cute! What a lovely young lady! I hope your culteral outing is a lot of fun! To make it even more education, afterwards (or before) its fun to do some google research to learn more about the conductor, or composer or the building the performance is in...

    Ummm - I wish you had a bakery in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love concerts...you will be so blessed! I can't wait to see pictures of both of you ladies and hear about your experience...what a wonderful time!
    Mrs. Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful outfit. And at $1.49....what a steal!! I need to ask God for your "Thrift store" anointing. LOL We went to our Goodwill and found absolutely nothing....so sad.

    We make your muffins at least once a week as well. It's definitely one of our favorites!!! Thank you so much for sharing all your recipies with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great deal. Wish we had a Goodwill. The outfit is very cute.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that outfit! Can't wait to wear it tomorrow! You're the BEST!!
    Tirzah.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!