Friday, December 4, 2009

Thrifty Friday

Okay...so I have a few cool things to share today. First off I just have to say how thankful I am for our wood stove. This beauty can heat our entire 2800 square foot home, except maybe the big boy's room in the basement, but they prefer it that way. We've been determined to figure out how to heat with wood this winter, since our furnace is run on natural gas, and that's not exactly cheap, especially when there is NO money coming in. So, thanks to my husband's perseverance and the hard work of the young men in my house, we've figured out a way to get cheap wood for the winter! Phew! This what we did, we bought a 25 dollar permit from some government entity (state parks I think). Mr. Taffy had to tell them the area we wanted, then we get the rights to take any fallen wood and dead trees in that location up to 3 chords worth! We just have to do the work to harvest it and chop it up! Awesome! Can you imagine heating your house in the Arctic tundra for $25? Thank GOD! I don't know if this will be enough wood for the whole winter here, and I'm sure the heater will kick on from time to time when we aren't here to keep the fires burning, still I think this is going to be tremendously helpful during this lean time!

Another thing we did recently was make an Azure order. If you can figure out their system and have the resources to do it, this is an awesome deal especially in regards to buying organic high quality food. A 50 pound bag of organic wheat berries is $18.00. Even if you aren't grinding your own flour, their price for wheat flour is equally as inexpensive! We bought wheat, raw sugar, rice, beans, salt and natural shortening for baking. An unexpected blessing was that the location where we picked up our order at was a potato packing plant, owned by the nicest lady around and she was so gracious to show us around her HUGE warehouse and invite us to buy some of her potatoes! Oh MY! What a deal! She started out telling me that a 50# bag sells for 5.00. Awesome! Then my Bubble Gum Taffy came in and started hugging her and telling her how wonderful she is...while all this hugging was going on I started to think it would great to get a bag for my sister-in-law, so I asked for one more bag. So then she gave me the bags for $4.oo a piece! I don't know if that's normal business practice or if my little love-giver brought about this gracious price. I'm thankful anyhow and I left with 150# of potatoes for $12.00! I bet those will last most of the winter! We had baked potatoes for lunch yesterday and I think we'll be having them at least once a week from here on out!
This is a picture of my bags of wheat. They are huge! The little yellow one is my last bag from my last trip to buying wheat down in Oregon.
I'll end this post with a yummy breakfast muffin. These had mixed reviews from my family. About half like them. Next time I'll make them with honey instead of molasses. Then I'm sure they will ALL like them!
Moist Molasses Bran Muffins
1 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cups raisins
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 molasses or honey
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. Oil
2 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine wheat bran, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in raisins. In a separate bowl, blend applesauce, milk, molasses, oil and eggs. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. Make 12. I doubled it and got 2 1/2 dozen...
Joyfully,
Mrs Taffy

7 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss a woodstove!!!!! I'd be willing to drive to MN just to get wood if I could have a woodstove..nothing like the warm heat and crackle of a woodstove!!
    I also love azure! I so badly need to order. I'm sure I've wasted so much money NOT ordering from them. Not to mention how horrible the taste of store bought flour is~YUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARG! All I can think of is that warm woodstove :) COZZZYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for all the potatoes!! We've made baked potatoes, Farmers Breakfast Casserole, Breakfast Burritoes, cheesy scalloped potatoes, Potato Soup, not to mention the girls favorite....mashed potatoes! Yum!!! Also looking forward to trying your new muffin recipie. As always, thanks for sharing all your yummy recipies! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are indeed so very thrifty! Way to GO, to your guys for doing all that hard work! You have a lovely winter ahead with warm fires, fresh bread and lots of turkey!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love AZURE! You aren't going to believe this, but I live less than 30 miles away from their farm!

    My husband wants a wood stove BADLY! We were just talking about it the other day. I don't know where we would put it, but it sure would be nice to not rely on electricity to heat our home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacie! That's awesome! So can you just go there and get the things you need? Do they have a store?

    If you can figure out where you would put a woodstove, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Mrs. Taffy,

    I haven't been visiting in a few days. Sorry. I am going to comment starting here. I know there are more that I want to comment on. Like the cute pic of baby taffy sleeping on the couch. How adorable.

    Your frugal living inspires me. I need some of this to rub on me. I just need to learn how to go about taking grocery money that is not in abundance and buying bulk of oatmeal, flour, etc... I usually just take the money we have and buy groceries as I need them. I haven't bought bulk in a long time. So if you have time, you can answer me privately or through a post. Either way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!