Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stand Fast

Have you ever noticed how many times Paul the apostle exhorts the believers in the different cities to hold fast, or to stand fast? These are the words that echo through my mind. Stand Fast. I actually looked it up in the Strong’s Concordance (on-line version), Stand Fast in the following verses means: 1) to stand firm 2) to persevere, to persist 3) to keep one's standing

In 1 Corinthians 16:13-14, Paul exhorts, “Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave and strong. Let all that you do be done with love." Then in Galatians 5: 1 he uses it again, “Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." Again in Philippians 1:27, “Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.” He says it a second time in Philippians 4:1, “Therefore my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, stand fast in the Lord, beloved.” In I Thessalonians 3: 8 he encourages, “For now we live, if you stand fast in the Lord.” And finally in II Thessalonians 2: 15, “Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.”

My reason for sharing all of this is that through my personal struggles here with unemployment and a severely discouraged husband, there have been moments I have wanted to give up. Not give up my Faith in the Lord, but give up hoping and believing that we can and will get through this. Every day is a choice for me, how I live it, what I do with my time, what thoughts I allow in my head, how I respond to situations. Every day I am making myself do the next thing. Things that used to give me joy, I am doing out of obedience now (to the Lord), because when Daddy’s not happy, Mommy’s not either. And every time I start praying, these words: STAND FAST echo through my head. It’s my commitment to the Lord and my duty to my family to STAND FAST. It’s not about how I feel, or what I want or what makes me happy, it’s about persevering. My prayers have not changed. Our needs have not changed. But my resolve is as strong as my fear of the Lord. Therefore, I will keep doing the next thing. I will trust my Father. I will believe that help is on the way and I will stand fast, so even if we perish, the Lord can return and find me faithful, standing fast.

Joyfully (on purpose),
Mrs. Taffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!