Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Ramblings

I like this title, because I'm not confined to writing about the thing I named the post. I have a quite few drafts in my blogger post tab because I have a lot of unfinished thoughts I've started writing out but haven't been able to wrap up in an interesting way. So instead I'll just blog about what I've been doing the past few days, not what I've been "thinking" the past few days-WAY TOO COMPLICATED at this point. lol


~Saturday I got a notice in the mail saying the school district didn't get our first quarter report cards. hmmm...I actually did send them in. In Minnesota, if you don't have a college degree, you have to send in quarterly report cards to the school district. Hasn't really been a problem, until they start loosing them! So I'm going to resend them tomorrow with delivery confirmation, just to keep things clear on my side of the issue. The problem is, the report card the school district supplies has an address with a name and the letter I got yesterday has the same address with a different name--seems to me THEY are having trouble keeping track of who is supposed to keep track of what! Oh well, I am still abundantly thankful that I am allowed to homeschool my children in freedom, but wouldn't hesitate to go underground if it came to that. :o)
~New Year's day was basically uneventful at our house. I did manage to make a special lunch, with the help of Chocolate Taffy. I know this braid looks like my coffee cake, but this is actually healthy, made with fresh ground red wheat flour and filled with turkey and cheese. YUM! Chocolate Taffy made this unhealthy dessert, but I promised him he could make it on New Year's Day. They are called frog legs and they are sinful-I'm sure of it! I put some in the freezer to pull out as a surprise on a bleak mid-winters day.
~Mr. Taffy helped me make my blog a little "bigger." I feel like I've really "arrived" now! lol


~All week I've been working on planning out our January homeschool. All the children are excited to get back to our learning schedule and routine. Honestly, unemployment is BORING! And when you have a vacation with nothing to do...it makes school WAY FUN! :o) But I'm excited because part of my planning included rearranging and purging our school room. Whenever I do that, I see all the wonderful books I have and it makes me look forward to getting back into it. A couple new things we are going to do this month include a Minnesota Unit Study and English from the Roots up II. The Unit Study will be done this month, but the English From the Roots up will last through the winter. We did the first book a year ago, we all really enjoyed it.

~There's a theater in St.Paul that has movies for $2.00 a ticket. The movies they show aren't exactly new releases, but movies that were in theater and haven't quite got to DVD yet. We met some friends there and saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. We own this book and Blue-Raspberry often chooses it to read at bedtime. The movie was so much funnier than we expected. Some of the food jokes were disgusting and the mayor was really repulsive (good example of the sin of gluttony), but we enjoyed it. The children even paid their own way in, so it was a cheap date. We ended the day at our friend's house for Pizza. Perfect.

~Yesterday I DEEP cleaned our main bathroom. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I HATE cleaning the bathtub and being as I'm blind without my contacts, I don't usually notice the condition of the tiles until I give the little people a bath and I NEVER have the energy to start scrubbing at that time of day. So I had to purpose to do this job. And would believe, Mr. Taffy came in to help me? What an unexpected surprise! Really, it was disgusting in there, but now it's sparkling and lovely. I even washed the shower curtain and rug and replaced the shower curtain liner! I scrubbed all the way around the toilet, even the plunger holder (gag) and the entire floor on my hands and knees! I couldn't help but smile every time I walked by the bathroom after that. Always feels good (afterward) to do a dreaded job and to do it well.

~It was -15 when I woke up this morning. Love my feathered blanket on nights like that!

~I made two dinners this past week with venison. I highly recommend this cookbook if you, like me, find yourself with a freezer full of venison and NO IDEA what to do with it! I made the meatballs and told Blue-Raspberry we were having "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" for dinner. They were a little spicy and very tender! Last night we had meatloaf with mashed potatoes and rolls and gravy. I think I've only made meatloaf once in my cooking life and it was just beef, but this venison/turkey combo was really yummy and the sauce was like a bbq sauce. It made two huge pans so we are going to have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch today. It makes me so happy to feed my family well and to have them ALL love it! It's a labor of love for sure and I don't normally "feel" like making dinner but I always "feel" satisfied afterward!

~I've probably rambled long enough! I have some pretty heavy things on my mind right now, burdens that I'm waiting for the Lord to lift. I'm sure He will, just not sure if I am going to be crushed in the process. I know the word says I won't be crushed, but boy it sure feels like it. I'm so glad God knows my limits, and I trust Him completely. He is my Joy and my Hope and my Peace.

In reverent fear and trusting His ways,
Mrs. Taffy
(Thanks Dory for that meaningful sign-off!)

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your "ramblings!" I feel like we're at your table with something warm and yummy to drink catching up on life. And your new blog template is great! Very nice. We too are looking forward to getting back into our learning schedule and routine this week. It's fun to have breaks....but we need the structure over here!

    Love you and am praying for you! I trust that God is making you like that rubber band...."Blessed are the flexible, for they SHALL NOT BREAK!"

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week you've had :)

    That braid looks so yummy and the chocolate...I bet it was sinful!!

    When you mentioned how you have to turn in quarterly report cards, I was praising the Lord for living in a State where it is so relaxed. So if they outlawed homeschooling in MN you need to move down here where it's nice and warm (well not today), and homeschooling friendly. All we need to do is have our kids evaluated each year. That's it...no testing....no nothing!

    I've been doing some cleaning down here. I know what you mean about cleaning the tub....YUCK! My bathrooms need a deep, double deep cleaning.

    And I can't believe you've only made meatloaf once in your life. What!!?? My husband loves meatloaf. It isn't a regular but at least once a month or so.

    I love the pic of you and your honey!! You're so pretty!!

    With love,

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to mention how COLD it is down here. I am telling you....IT IS FREEZING. Well almost LOL

    Today the high was 47* and right now it's about 34*, it's about 10 PM. Isn't that cold!!?? I know freezing for us Floridians. It sure doesn't compare to your -15 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhh.. would you say underground, litterally or are you just pretending?? he he he.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris-Yeah, I understand how that cold probably feel really cold to you! I was remembering being in California a couple years ago, shivering. It was freezing, probably 45 degrees! But somehow it felt SOOO cold! :o)

    Miss Knitter, my darling, underground means "hidden, sneaky-like, incognito." Don't worry, it doesn't require any dirt or digging for that matter! lol Love you honey!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!