Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ultra Chocolate Muffins


This recipe is from a great book: Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy. It was out of print for a while, but I think it available once again. I've had my copy for years! This recipe is one that I posted on my old blog, but I think it deserves reposting here. Honestly, we have these about once a week. According to the book they cost .11 per serving, but with inflation and the upgraded ingredients I use, it's probably a little more. I save money by not using cupcake liners, which I didn't even know was possible until I couldn't waste money on the handy little things!
Here's the recipe:
3 cups pastry flour
1 cup organic raw sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup unsweetened real apple juice *( I have juice boxes on hand for this recipe since I don't usually buy juice.)
1/2 cup water or more apple juice (much tastier if you use apple juice!)
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted*
2 T. vinegar (any type but I like apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 really ripe mashed bananas
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and add chocolate chips and bananas. Mix until blended, but be careful not to over mix!
Pour into greased or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 for 18 minutes. Makes 24.
These taste best warm, with a little bowl of natural applesauce on the side, a fish oil pill and a glass of water and you'll be good until lunch! Yum!
Joyfully,
Mrs. Taffy

*I'm adding a little variation here: You can turn these into Mocha Muffins by using cold coffee instead of apple juice. Also, I've tried both Olive Oil and Coconut Oil in replacement of the butter with good results. The Coconut Oil make a much richer tasting muffin. So yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs Blanchard,
    Those muffins look good!
    I was wondering if you could send me the recipe for the cookies you made when we were there with cranberries and white chocolate chips? I thought they were sooo yummy.....and I always love a new cookie recipe:)
    Love you,
    Dodi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!