Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Dead Sea Scrolls

We had so much fun today. We were able to go see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the MN Science Museum. Because there is an extra admission fee to the exhibit, we got a little creative and split up. Mr. Taffy took the two older taffy's during one showing and I took Strawberry later on, that way we didn't have to pay for our little people, who wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. Wow! This really was an amazing exhibit. Seeing the artifacts and reading about how and where they found the things...all leading up to seeing the actual scrolls. I actually cried when I read and saw the portion from Isaiah. It was that beautiful. I'm not really sure why it made me emotional, I just love God's word so much and to see some of it in that way, really touched me. On a funny note, it really helped that we've read Jotham's Journey so many times, because it really gave us a context for conditions and traditions during the same time period as when the scrolls were written.



While the boys were in seeing the scrolls, the rest of us went and did some trading. This is when I discovered my camera battery was gone...so I just barely got these pictures. Bummer. A bald-face hornet's nest. We found this in our neighbor's tree last fall, we saved it all winter.

Strawberry also traded in some deer antlers. Blue-Raspberry traded in some Monarch Butterfly wings and he even wrote a report. They love reports, so he got lots of points for that and came home with a raccoon skull complete with teeth! NICE!


And Bubble Gum...she had the attention of this nice volunteer who was telling her all kinds of untruths...you know 350 million years blah, blah, blah. Still she loved looking at all the rocks and fossils with a magnifying glass. And of course she loved the attention!

We ended our visit at the museum watching the Imax movie Arabia, which started out very interesting, but ended, how do I say this gently, Islamic. We stopped for a potty break and snack at a wonderful popcorn/candy shop in downtown St. Paul and then headed home for some more fresh air and sunshine!


It was a great day for us!


Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. We saw the Dead Sea Scrolls in Seattle!~ Nothing but AMAZING!!!!
    How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so great! And I just love the museum trading area. What a fabulous idea someone had! Love Strawberry's braids - cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun! Wow, that is a lot of cool stuff you guys traded in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are amazing aren't they! We saw them in Seattle...truly amazing!

    Hugs to all....love the braids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing the Dead sea scrolls awhile ago, they were SO cool! And such beautiful writing!
    ~Love Alli

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!