Sunday, March 14, 2010

Job-As in the book of the Bible

Not to be confused with a job...which we are praying for and may actually have an answer too... but that will have to wait for another post. :o) Job. I think we all have an opinion of the book of Job, whether we've read it or not, we think that Job was a righteous man, that God allowed the devil to basically torment Job-but not kill him and we know that Job lost everything. We might even know that Job had some friends that talked a lot and if you've studied creation science you might know that Job talks about dinosaurs and the ice age and all that. We've just finished the book of Job in our BTS time. Wow. As a young person, honestly I couldn't relate to Job. Sure I had troubles in my life but my scope of life and the things I worried about were very limited and superficial. But now that I'm "oldish" and have children that are on the edge of adulthood and little ones still being nurtured in my home...Job has and had so much more meaning to me.



You know it would be so easy to take parts of Job out of context. His friends said some pretty "good" sounding things. Things like "God never allows bad things to happen to people who are righteous" or "you must have sinned somewhere for God to have let all this stuff happen to you." Not to step on any toes here, but really his friends were preaching the "prosperity gospel." The whole time his friends talked at Job, Job stood fast to his conviction that he was Righteous and he had no idea why God was allowing this to happen to him. Right from the beginning, when the news started pouring in that his possessions and children were destroyed, he fell on his face and worshipped. Who does that? Not me! I might cry and feel sorry for myself and pull my hair out in grief...but Job worshipped. Oh the example.



And personally as we've gone through this strange season of joblessness, to no avail, we've been told the same things that Job was told. "You must be doing something wrong, there must be some reason, you aren't trying hard enough, you aren't believing hard enough, God must be mad at you"...on and on. All well meaning of course. We aren't offended, but Job was so comforting and the end made me cry, in front of all my children and my nieces, I could barely talk because you know what God said?



"And so it was, after the Lord had spoken these words to Job, that the Lord spoke to Eliphaz the Temanite (his friend that was talking at him),'My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has.'" 42:7



God goes on to tell Job's friends to make burnt offerings and to let Job pray for them, "for I will accept him, lest I deal with you according to your folly; because you have not spoken of Me what is right, as my servant Job has." 42:8 The bottom line is: Job's friends did not KNOW God. Job knew God. Still chokes me up. That I would KNOW God in a way that allows me to speak the truth, unto death. "And the Lord restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends. Indeed the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before." Wow. Not that I can even begin to expect God to restore to us what He's taken away because we can't stand and say we were righteous like he was, only righteous because of Jesus' blood, not because of our conduct. But we can, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt trust the Lord and all that He allows or doesn't allow to happen to us. I am deeply grateful that the same Creator God that set the boundaries for the waters and hung the stars in the sky and created the mighty Behemoth, would take notice of me and my family and love us so much. God is so much MORE than we think. Our puny minds can't really grasp the greatness of who He is. But we should strive to know who He is and who He isn't. Because in this twisted world where truth is relative and justice is perverted, we can count on a Holy God who loves us more than we deserve. And as believers we MUST KNOW what we believe. Therein lies the secret to true peace.



Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Very beautifully written. I learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done...think I will read Job through and be encouraged! I think we must know what we believe and that yes therein lies the secret to true peace...and knowing God means complete surrender to Him and His will for our lives! We don't understand this season but we do need to be on our face before Him worshiping Him always...I really loved this post - so encouraging, so challenging, so completely against what many people believe...so against what many churches teach! Thank you for this post - off to read Job!
    Speaking of Job...waiting for the promised possible update on a "job" for your family!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!