Friday, June 25, 2010

Decorating-Garage Sale Style

new_garage_sale_left_plt%20(Small) I was thinking it would be cool to share how I’ve made my bedroom cute with things that I found at garage sales and encourage you to do the same!

Busy Saturday 017

Window coverings. You can always find window coverings at a garage sale! My friend had these in hers and was generous enough to just give them to me. There is a little splotch of paint on one of the sheers-smack dab in the middle! But I don’t mind! You can only see it if you are looking for it!

I like these much better than what I had up there before, which was just a make shift valance. But I took that valance and repurposed it to make:

Busy Saturday 027

My head board! I did have red silk on their before, but now It’s a sheer. I have to readjust it from time to time, but I still think it looks lovely. And my hubby likes it so much better than the red silk! The silk green pillows on the bed I found at a garage sale for $1 each. I can find no visible flaw! I don’t know why they were selling them, but I’m so happy to have found them!

Busy Saturday 032

Mr.. Taffy found a whole box of used candles at a garage sale last year. There were at least 20 of these pillar type candles in red, green and white. I only discovered recently that the some of the green ones were two-toned. Most of the candles had only been burned a tiny little bit. I think we paid .50 for the whole box.

Busy Saturday 030

This is my most recent garage sale find. It’s an over the door hook. It’s got two hooks and it’s really heavy, which to me means high quality. :of) $1.00 and great for our bathrobes!

I find that when I find just one new thing to spruce my house up with that it gives me the extra push I need to keep that room tidy. So, when I have a pretty new head board, or nifty little candles I think, “I have to make my bed today, a messy bed won’t look nice under that pretty head board.” or “I better keep the armoire clutter free so as not to hide those pretty candles.” Like that.

My most favorite decorating book is Creating a Sensational Home by Terry Willits.

51BJAAGFZ0L__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_

I love this book because she when she writes she describes every act of decorating your home in light of scripture! She teaches how you can use the 5 senses to make a home that is lovely and God-honoring. I felt like I learned a new worship technique when I read this book! I’m not kidding. Now I’ve given this book away from time to time and I haven’t had any one respond to it the way I did—so my reaction might not be typical. :o) I love this book and if you want some low cost, but effective ways of making (not always buying things-sometimes it just the location of books on your bookshelf) your home more beautiful, therefore more fun to clean, I highly recommend it!

Garage sales weren’t that great this week. I found some clothes for Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum (winter stuff) and I bought a swim suit for Bubble Gum, but I ended up throwing it away. I didn’t notice an unfixable flaw. That happens sometimes. Ah well, there’s always next week!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy



5 comments:

  1. That was fun! I love that book too. It is a great idea to make little changes to help stay focused on keeping all nice and cheery and clean. Very enjoyable blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Taffy,

    You are so talented...I think someday you should start a home business...to come and decorate a persons home with nothing but garage sale items...just think all the Taffy's would be on TLC! Wouldn't that be a fun show - and you'd be paid to shop and decorate...what a fun idea...and I could get a "finders fee"....teeee-heeee!

    Besides my fancy ideas...good job and as always I'm impressed with what you do. Your bedroom is different then what I'd expect - I really like it..how it seperates from the rest of your decorating style...nice!

    Mrs. Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for this post!! I love it!!! Please feel free to do other rooms/areas now. And I'm already on the lookout for a good deal on your book. I need all the help I can get!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a posting on a week when garage sales were not so hot! You are always so creative! I hope you do more rooms too! It is fun to see what you have done with your treasures.

    I will be looking for the book to see what I can learn from it. I love decorating my home also and have found that a "new" item will encourage me to dust - not my favorite chore - or even just rearranging what is already here.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I'm just visiting and poking around from the TOS Crew, and looking forward to getting to know you better this year.

    Creating a Sensational Home is one of my favorite decorating books, too, and I incorporate many thrift store finds, also. Your home is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!