Wednesday, June 16, 2010

TPT and Dairy Queen

I'm not sure if this is just a Minnesota thing, but our local Public Television Station and Dairy Queen have teamed up to give the kids a fun summer reading challenge. For reading a certain number of hours (depending on their grade) they can earn a free 12oz. Blizzard treat!. Click on the picture to see the application.

Another fun reading challenge comes from the Half-Price Books store. They are giving the kids a $3 in store gift card for reading at least 15 minutes a day for a 7 days in a row. They can do this challenge all summer long. Each week earning a $3 gift card. The only bummer is the kids can't combined the cards, but still...it's a lot of fun!

You probably already know about your local library and their reading challenge. Ours is giving away passes to a local water park! Wow! And the great thing about that reading challenge is they are letting both Laffy Taffy and Banana Taffy participate. Most of these challenges have a cap of 6th grade, though Half-Price allows 14 and under to participate.

I love summer reading challenges. In the past, when we lived in the boonies and didn't have all the perks of living in the suburbs, I would make up my own summer reading challenges. It's so fun to have a goal during the summer and to give them a little incentive to keep their minds filled with good words.

Happy Reading!
Mrs. Taffy

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I sure hope that we can do the book store and DQ thing! Thank you for finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta check out my Dairy Queen and our public library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats really cool! My library does a summer reading program too, but after several years of doing it, we have gotten tired of the same routine. Your post was very useful!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I got them all signed up!! (It might just be my computer, but the DQ link just gave an error message.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura~Thank you! I fixed the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and to leave a comment. I am looking forward to an exciting year on the crew and getting to know everyone better!

    And if you're interested Barnes and Noble and Borders both do summer reading challenges as well. Here are the links:

    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/summerreading/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=562113&utm_campaign=Web

    http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_doubledogdare?cmpid=SA_20100513_V2

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!