Saturday, July 10, 2010

Holey Bread Part 2

croutons 001

Isn’t this sad? Just a big air-hole. I ripped it open a little so you can see how big it was. No good for sandwiches! But perfect for croutons!

croutons 002

I highly recommend an electric knife for cutting your own bread! I sliced this one thicker than I normally would, but you get the idea.

croutons 003

Then I sliced the slices into sticks basically-they felt like big potato fries! Then I sliced them again, so they became little cubes! Way fast to do with an electric knife!

croutons 005

Into a bowl they go!

croutons 006

I sprinkled garlic and ground sage onto the bread cubes, then I melted down 1 cup of butter. Stir to mix!

croutons 007

This big loaf made 3 large cookie sheets worth of croutons! I baked them at 325 for 20 minutes-stirring half way through.

croutons 009

Oh yeah! The house smells great!

croutons 010

It was hard to cut up this whole loaf of bread, not physically hard-but emotionally hard! Still, we love these homemade croutons and we eat a lot of salad so I know these will be eaten in no time!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

11 comments:

  1. I love this idea of using the not so perfect bread for other things. What I hadn't thought about was using an electric knife for slicing. We don't own one and I think my parents only used theirs for carving the turkey or a ham. Now I have something else to look for at yard sales or on Freecycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Blogger Award!!!
    http://pebblekeeper.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/beautiful-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would it those straight out of the bowl. Yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job figuring out how to use your bread so it wouldn't be wasted. I messed up a big batch of yogurt and now I have to figure out what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I found Trader Joe's has one loaf (whole wheat) that reminds me of your home made bread (not as good) but whenever I make toast with it I think of you! I've been making homemade croutons for salad too - one slice at a time! I should make a BATCH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade croutons are the best! Would you be willing to share your bread recipe? Or have you already?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, I think I did share this recipe LONG ago...like on my old blog! So I will be happy to share it again! I'll do it later this week when I make bread again okay? Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by on the blog walk. Nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I can't wait to "mess up a loaf" and make croutons! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I left you an award on my blog. Please visit www.allamericanfamily.blogspot.com to retrieve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yummie! Sorry about your bread...I completely understand about emotional hardness of cutting it up...smile!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!