Sunday, September 5, 2010

Being Strong-Willed

“How do you respond to family/friends that don't support your decision to homeschool?”

This question has been difficult for me.  I almost didn’t answer it for fear of sounding arrogant.  Please forgive me if I come across that way!  It's not my intention…it’s just my way…

Here’s the deal:  I’m very strong-willed.  You probably don’t know that by looking at me or reading my blog, but it’s the truth.  Somebody tried to “pray” that off me once…but of course my will rose up and I was like, “no way!”  My strong-will is what’s kept me on the straight and narrow since I was 5. 

A funny thing about my life is that I didn’t grow up in Christian household but my  parents sent me to a Christian school where we had chapel and memorized scripture as part of our daily lessons.  And it was at that school, as a little kindergartner, that Jesus became my Savior.  Obviously I know what that means more now than I did then, but it was real enough to keep me on this path my whole life.  I’m not trying to give the impression that I was this perfect little Christian girl, Lord knows I was far from that, but my will is what has kept me seeking the Lord and turning to the Lord even though that wasn’t modeled in my own household. 

It’s this same strong-will that made me a loaner in high school and allowed me to remain chaste until marriage.  This same strong-will allows me to have this 7th baby without shame, and (to bring this post back on topic) it’s the same strong-will that keeps me from caring what people think about me homeschooling.  Doesn't that sound arrogant?  I hate the way that sounds, but it’s the truth to an extent.  I haven’t encountered too many naysayers in my homeschool experience.  I’m blessed to have family and friends that support our decision.  That doesn’t mean I haven’t had negative comments—they usually come from strangers or from people who speak before they think.  One time from someone who I looked up too and admired very much.  This particular instance did make me cry, but not retaliate or even defend myself—I was too shocked to speak honestly.  It was more the way it was told to me, not that the words were spoken.  She did apologize, but she got knocked off the pedestal I put her on. 

I homeschool because I am convicted to do so.  Homeschooling to me, is just like anything else I do, an act of surrender and worship to God.  I do it for Him and none other.  That alone gives me the confidence to face and ignore rude hurtful comments.  Jesus is no stranger to this kind of treatment and what did He teach us?

Turn the other cheek.

Pray for those that curse you.

Forgive as I have forgiven you.

Treat others like you want to be treated.

So what can I do?  I can follow Jesus example and in return I don’t criticize somebody’s choice to use public school.  If they want to talk about why I homeschool, I will tell them truthfully. 

There’s a backbone needed on this homeschool journey.  A bit of strong-will to go against the tide.  A resolve to do what you feel the Lord has told you do, NO MATTER WHAT anybody else says! 

And my prayer is that if you have a life filled with unsupportive people, that Jesus will be your Rock and your Confidence and as your security grows in Him, so will your ability to “be a duck” and let those hurtful words slide off your back and fall into the mud where they belong!

Sheepishly,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. very well said, and CONGRATULATIONS on your newest blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing what you feel is the right thing for your children and for your family as a whole. There is nothing arrogant about that nor is it anything to feel sheepish about. It is difficult to "march to the beat of a different drummer" than society at large. You will make mistakes, as do all parents, but kids are very resilient. When they become adults they will make decisions that also have good or bad consequences. Hopefully, they learn from the bad consequences and enjoy the good ones. For some reason in this country some people seem to feel that they can impose their opinions onto others. Ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and you go girl!! I have a strong will when I need one....standing by my Lord for one, for 2, when it comes to the well-being of my kids and that includes homeschoolin them.

    God's Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! amazing post. Thank you! I am the only one homeschooling in my family. I find myself proving myself every day. Hubby leaves all the homeschooling decisions to me and sometimes self doubt slips in. Your post was uplifting and I will definetly check in daily .

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!