Monday, September 27, 2010

Herb Bread

002

This recipe come from an old Betty-Crocker cookbook, modified by me of course. :o)

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups wheat flour

2 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tsp. salt

2 packages active dry yeast or a scant 2 tbsp. bulk yeast

2 1/2 cup very warm water

4 tbsp. snipped fresh parsley

4 Tbsp. shortening (I used non-hydrogenated, organic)

3 tsp. snipped fresh or 1 tsp. dried rosemary

1 tsp. snipped fresh or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme

butter, softened

Mix 4 cups of flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, parsley, shortening, rosemary and thyme. Beat on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place 35-40 minutes or until double.

Grease 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Smooth, divide, and put batter in a loaf pan with floured hands. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes or until doubled. So here’s where my bread got such a great “look.” My bread over-rose and so instead of dumping it out of the pans I just smashed it down and stuck it in the oven! I was worried it was going over-rise again. It rose enough as it baked and got that nice rustic look.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Brush top with butter, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

003This is how I served it. (Half pieces for the half-pints.) I saved one loaf for toasting and smearing with cream cheese—oh YUM! We used herbs from our little herb garden too. I hope this doesn’t look to complicated, it was totally worth the effort. I made the whole recipe in my kitchen aid!

Enjoy,

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. That's so funny....I made herb bread yesterday also. I haven't made it in ages, but had the hankering for something other than just plain wheat bread. Your bread is much, much prettier than my bread was. :)

    Now that the weather is cooling off....I'm back to baking more. I love it.

    I think it's time to make some of those pumpkin crescent rolls. Have you made a batch yet?

    Enjoying all the product reviews. I'm getting some good Christmas ideas.

    Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa!! Yay! Thanks for leaving a comment! Yes, I've made the pumpkin rolls and I was thinking about YOU the whole time! It's so much more fun to bake in cool weather! My family devoured the rolls!

    I'm glad you are enjoying the reviews, there's lots more coming!

    hugs,
    CB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your directions say to add shortening but I didn't see it in the ingredients list... How much do we use? It looks like a fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...thank you so much for pointing that out! I fixed the recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your recipe thru Betty Crocker on Facebook and I have to say - it looks delicious! I will try it for my family (I have 4 kids). Thanks for sharing it!

    Heidi in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good. Your pictures are making my mouth water;} What year is your Betty-Crocker cookbook? I have an old one myself and wanted to check and see if it is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, thanks for visiting! I guess my book isn't actually "that" old, I just checked the date and it says
    1990, it's falling a part! I guess that's why I thought it was "old." LOL It's literally my first cookbook from my marriage career! I've used it a lot and still use it a lot. In fact, right now I'm making an apple pie from it! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!