Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Math Tutor DVD-Review

HSCrew140x180

Recently I was blessed to review two Math Tutor DVD’s. I was very excited about this review because math is NOT my strong subject. I am much more “language arts” minded but I understand the importance of math so I was especially excited about this Pre-Algebra DVD. Strawberry Taffy is in Pre-Algebra this year, and she is just like me…language arts minded, and while she hasn’t needed any extra tutoring yet (still at the review stage in her book) I KNOW this is going to come in handy. Some of the things I liked about this DVD are:

~The instructor has a nice voice. This opinion was resonated by all three of my older children—this was their first impression. “Hey! He actually talks nice and he’s not monotone”, to be exact.

~The instructor’s handwriting is easy to read.

~The DVD is loaded with practice problems and examples of procedures and techniques taught.

item66 Here’s what the DVD covers:

Disk 1
Sect 1 - Real Numbers
Sect 2 - The Number Line
Sect 3 - Greater Than, Less Than, Equal To
Sect 4 - Absolute Value and Adding Integers
Sect 5 - Subtracting Integers

Disk 2
Sect 6 - Multiplying Integers
Sect 7 - Dividing Integers
Sect 8 - Powers and Exponents
Sect 9 - Order of Operations

The other DVD I got to review is The Texas Instruments TI-83/84 Calculator Tutor. I wasn’t really sure what to think of this one because I wasn’t even sure what that kind of calculator is! So…I Googled it! Wow-fancy calculator! We didn’t have one, so we looked on Craig’s List and found one at a very reasonable price. I started watching the DVD, with Calculator in hand and I started talking to my mom, who has graduated my brother from homeschooling and he’s currently going to school at Hillsdale College…I figured she’s have an opinion.

item63

Turns out this might be one of the calculators the kids CAN use on the SAT’s! Sweet! It was really interesting to learn the in’s and out’s of this complicated little computer. But I got so excited about what I was learning that I decided as soon as the boy’s finish Algebra 2, they are going to have a math elective learning how to use this calculator!

And, I KNOW I’ll be purchasing the Geometry DVD next year! I practically failed Geometry in High school so I know in order to be any help to my children we’ll need to have that DVD in our resources!

Both DVD’s retail for $26.99 on the Math Tutor DVD website, where you’ll find lots more helpful information and little movies with examples of the lessons.

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclaimer: I received this product for free for the purposes of this review. All opinions expressed here are my own and I received no other compensation.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great. Homeschooler's need those kinds of resources. W actually took a private school class on how to operate that calculator. It was helpful, and fun (they did lots of fun things with it) but it cost a lot! And, it seems to me a math tutor has to be visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Short and Sweet review! (Appropriate for a taffy pull! ;) )

    I like this guy too! He's just a genuinely nice rocket scientist with a desire to help make math accessible. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!