Wednesday, September 1, 2010

MN State Fair

state fair 001 

This is our tradition.  Every year since I’ve been very young, we’ve been going to the State Fair at the end of the summer.  When I was a child, I was going with my dad and brother, right before flying home to WA.  Now, as an adult, I am going with my own family—it’s always wonderful!  Something we thought we knew, but learned in a more tangible way last year—We like to go alone.  :o)  It’s hard enough walking around a fair with a big family, it’s even harder with more families!  So being alone this year just made it all the more fun for us this time!

state fair 002

We got their at 8:00!  The food stands weren’t even open yet!  The first place we visited was the Little Farm Hands exhibit.  We did this last year too, but it was the end of the day and the only prizes were little boxes of Cheerios and canned peas.  YUCK!

state fair 009

This year we got a blow-up cow, a book about making ice cream, stuffed lambs and potato chips made locally.  It was so fun!

state fair 021

By the time we were done with that the food stands were starting to open so we started our day with donuts!  Warm and so delicious! 

state fair 028

We bought our kidway ride tickets ahead of time and went on a day when there was discount on how many tickets per ride.  The man running this ride really warmed up to Laffy Taffy—he got numerous complimentary rides.  It was such a blessing!

state fair 025

Some late blooming magenta lilacs and my pretty Strawberry.

state fair 036

The Giant Slide.  This is another tradition.  Every year it gives me a heart-attack to watch my baby slide down this huge thing!  They sure like it though!

state fair 070

The barn full of baby animals…it was so wonderful, other than the smell and the heat and the crowds…lambs,  ducklings, piglets, calves, kits, chicks…adorable! 

state fair 087

After the barn and a good hand-washing, we enjoyed bottomless cups of either chocolate or white milk.  Hmmm…good!

state fair 098

state fair 102

We did lots more after that but I was getting too hot to take pictures.  It was so hot.  One more time, let me just mention the heat…I’m so done with summer!  It was 90 degrees at noon!  We were melting and roasting and the heat took away all our desire to eat anything deep fried and delicious.  Instead we feasted on snow cones and shaved ice, not very fun if you ask me, but it did hit the spot!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun tradition! It looks like your children had a lot of fun....despite the heat! We can hardly wait to go today. It's supposed to be 76 and sunny. Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition. I heard someone talking on the radio a few days ago about the Minnesota State Fair - they claimed it was one of the best in the country! Your pictures prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful day! And you know what we like going alone to the fair also...but we'd really like to "bump" into you someday at a fair - especially since both of our family love love love fairs...glad you kept up the tradition and enjoyed the fair!
    Hugs to you all...looking wonderful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe it really does look like you all had fun. What a blessing to be able to spend time as a family at the Fair!

    I am with you on the heat. Bring on Fall!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! Looks like a fun day. :)
    Woo! Those temps are incredible! I thought down here in Alabama was the only place that hit that LOL! :)
    We used to go on those huge slides when we lived in Germany...haven't been on one in about ten or so years! Fun stuff. :)
    That picture of Bubblegum Taffy on the ride is priceless! So cute!
    Everyone looked like they had a blast. Love traditions!
    Christ be with you!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you had a fun time...besides the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great time.

    Hey...I like your little "salt-water Taffy" button...tooo cute! :)

    I'm so excited for you...yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!