Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Retiring Alarm Clock

Alarm_clock

I going through kind of a strange thing. I’m not sure if I have the adequate words to describe what the “thing” is but I’m going to give it a try.

I’m a pretty quiet/shy person, but I’m also really good at delegating and time management, at least in areas that I’m familiar with: My house, homeschool, housekeeping, meals, appointments, vacation planning, organizing, etc. But I’m starting to feel like this so called gift is kind of a curse too because it tends to make me feel and look bossy. And if not bossy than controlling. And if not controlling than a task-master. And if not a task-master than a rule-maker. I’m feeling like I can’t win here! On the one hand the people in my life like that I can manage and organize and get stuff done, but on the other hand they see me as rigid or fretful.

My problem is-How do I be one way and not the other? If I’ve been given the job of keeping things on track, why do I have to take the heat when they don’t like me interrupting their fun? That’s why I’m retiring as the Alarm Clock. It’s not like I’m unfeeling like an actual alarm clock, that you can throw across the room and it will still do it’s duty the next day without another thought! What would happen if I just stopped “ringing.” I can’t figure out how to make the change though without being heartless, because I feel like keeping people on track is actually a form of love. Who likes to be late? Who likes a cold dinner? Who likes bags under their eyes?

I can see this is turning into a bit of a rant and I don’t mean for it to be. I’m just trying to figure this out. I’ve been laying down my so-called agenda and trying to detach myself from the need to remind or prod or nag. Who wants to be a nag? Not me! What’s the worse that can happen? Missed appointments, bags under our eyes, cold food. That’s not too bad, but maybe everybody will stop thinking of me in the negative light of how I’m wired. I can hope anyway!

You know the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible? People always teach that story and say, “be like Mary.” I’ve never understood this story because I still want to know who would have fed Jesus if Martha hadn't! But maybe that’s the point, maybe Jesus would have done a miracle if Martha wasn’t the one doing the work. Maybe He would have provided the food and drink or provided the servants to do it or kept the people from needing food and drink. So maybe my involvement in alarm-clock duties is keeping the Lord from moving and doing His own good thing in the lives of the people around me.

This is why I call myself a lump of taffy, because my desire is to be so flexible and so soft that things don’t bother me, so I can be sweet and delicious even if I’m laying the mud or stuck to the bottom of somebody's shoe! Lord have mercy! lol

The one and only thing I am sure of is God’s goodness and His daily mercy in my life. How lost and alone I would be without His presence in my life!

Relying on God’s grace and forgiveness daily,

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. I have found, while working with resistent clients, that natural consequences are a wonderful motivator. Sometimes the natural consequences are already "there"; for example no one gets to eat dinner until the table is set. Other times the "natural" consequences need to be provided; example: can't do something fun until xyz is finished. The hardest part for you will be to let everything "fall apart" for a while. I don't think it will be long as you've done too good a job training everyone and "sibling pressure" will take over. I would suggest try one day at a time. I'm sure everyone knows their jobs and when they need to be done. Just don't say anything and see what happens. You might be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may do whatever you want...but I would like to say that I do NOT think you are bossy. I think your the best of the best. You keep everything on schedule...unlike us. I hope I can get more orgainzed by the time I am marride. I think your great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post early this morning and then prayed for you and about what I could say to encourage you. I was hoping the Lord would give me some great wisdom and insight to help you. Don't think I have any solutions for you but what I can wholeheartedly say is this:
    I love you dearly. You are true to your name in that you are honest and pure. I know that whatever your actions may be.....your heart in the matter is love. You love us, your family, and we all know it. AND Your organizational skills in life are very inspiring for those of us NOT so naturally inclined! I personally have benefitted imensely over the years from your giftings. Thank you. I'm sure I haven't said it enough. I appreciate you!! Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to tell you that I have always thought of Mary and Martha the same way you do! You have the most important house guest ever and who wouldn't want to make a meal to feed him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are all lumps of clay ( or taffy :) That's why we need Jesus, to mold us and make us what HE wants us to be!!
    I guess it's when the LORD stops working in us we need to worry, right?....
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have similar issues. My husband does not plan nor does he like to and that is how I have turned into a more flexible person. I do have a schedule that we stick to most of the time but everyone knows when Dad is home anything goes. I think you just have to find the right balance. I know that's not very helpful, is it? You should be able to run your household efficiently but you also need to let the older members fail sometimes. Maybe set up the schedule, tell them one time when something needs to be done or when dinner is and then just carry on and try not to worry about it.

    Oh, and I feel the same way about the Mary and Martha story. Maybe the true message is balance. Mary should have helped her sister prepare a simple meal so they could both sit at His feet. That's what I've always thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who's struggled with the Mary and Martha story. Most people just stare at me blankly when I tell them I don't "get" it! lol

    I think I need to start back up my crafty hobby's: scrapbooking, sewing etc. That way I'll be busy and won't really be bothered by the time or what I "know" should be going on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gifts are a blessing whether those around you realize it or not. I am sure that there are many times when they do realize it as well. You will be rewarded for your diligence one day, perhaps not here on earth, but God sure knows your heart. Some of us will be rewarded for something other than that, LOL! :-)
    There are lots of times when I wish to be MORE like an alarm clock... maybe the message is to not look to others for approval nor disapproval, but simply to follow your heart and to do what you believe to be right, especially if you have sought the Lord's counsel. Isn't it comforting to know that even with Jesus in their presence, women still were unsure of themselves... we, today, are not so far off from the people of that day, but we do have dishwashers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are just so cute! :) (((hugs))) If I can be nearly as punctual as you I would get so much done. Definitely it is your gift to be organized, punctual, and pretty much on top of things. I think you are doing your family a service by teaching them these very good principles of life. Order is good!

    But I know what you mean about not reminding. Then what do you do? Right... things might just go crazy in the home. Maybe a mess? These are things you would have to wait and see right? You might be totally surprised at how much good fruit you will see after all these years of training and being the alarm clock. ha ha.

    Can't wait to read more about it.

    Oh and I hope you are doing good. Thinking lots about you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!