Sunday, November 14, 2010

Preparing for a Crowd

We have home fellowship that meets in our home every other Saturday evening.  This has been a wonderful blessing to our family.  A while back I prayed and asked the Lord to send a family with teens, for my teens.  Most of the children at our fellowship are under 12.  I was so excited when my husband told me that a family with 14 children (yes you read that correctly) was coming to fellowship with us!  And in that crowd of children-14 and 15 year old boys!  God is so Good!  I’m not stuck on making sure my children have friends that are their age, but with my sons working in a secular environment they need Christian peers.  With that said, I want to show you how I got set up for our night of fellowship.

We had the potential of having a total of 39 people over, only 30 could make it.  Still, I wanted to be prepared.  Here’s the transformation of our main floor:

002

We had all children 12 and under take a seat first, and their parents or older sibling served them.  This was to avoid the potential grid lock at the serving counter.  This worked great!  What was on the menu you ask?

Spaghetti and Meatballs- I used 6 boxes of Wal-Mart brand whole wheat spaghetti noodles, 4 of those big Prego spaghetti sauce jars from Sam’s Club and 200 Venison meatballs that I made.  One family brought a huge salad.  Another brought bread, and we had loads of cookies!

007

This picture is before I got done adding all the noodles.  I can’t believe it but we have some leftovers!  Not a ton, but one of the things I worried about the most was having enough food, there was plenty!

003

We drink Reverse Osmosis water, which can be slow in the making, so throughout the day I filled up our big water cooler and 6 of these big mason jars full of water.  I put two on each table to keep thirsty little people in their chairs.

Another area of concern was shoes.  It’s a MN tradition to remove your shoes when you come into somebody’s house, especially if it’s snowy outside.  Sure enough, it was snowy yesterday.  We dealt with this by having our children be runners and as people took off their shoes, they would run them into another room and set them on a rug.  This worked really well, we don’t have that much room right at our front door and 60 shoes takes up a lot of room! (Mr. Taffy gets all the credit for this idea!) Another child was running coats back to the office.

008

The secret to our successful evening was hearts willing to serve-not just mine but my children’s also!  I couldn’t have done all of this without them!  And leaning heavily on God, who knew exactly how the evening would play out.  It was a wonderful time of fellowship, we made new friends and reconnected with old ones!  My husband taught us about what communion is and isn’t and I got to rejoice with my bestest, she newly pregnant and I’m SOOO excited we are pregnant at the same time! 

If God asks you to do something hard or out of your comfort zone, do it!  Don’t panic, don’t fret.  He wouldn’t have asked you to do it if He didn’t KNOW you could!

Why do we do this you may be wondering?  Here’s the simple reason…

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”  Hebrews 10: 23-25

As believers we need each other.  Our fellowship time gives us a tiny glimpse of heaven and is a wonderful faith building, joy producing, belly filling reminder that we are not alone!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your dinner with us! I like that you told us how many boxes/jars/meatballs you had. It helps! We were re-arranging our home for Lego Club on Fridays - but now, have found a solution so we do not have to change every week. We like the new open floor plan better. We don't know if we'll have 4 or 39 (our highest number yet) on Fridays - as friends or family come to watch. But I do know - that I will have a humble servants heart - and try to be a blessing to my guests - and not a fretful host! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are amazing! I always tell people you could run a corporation and I think your evening proves it! I'm glad it all worked out so beautifully! (especially the shoes! did you take a picture?) Also, you look beautiful! You are glowing!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 people ~ wow! Everything looks fantastic ~ great job!

    We were planning on having a family of 12 over (for a total of 19 people) and I was so worried about having enough food! The whole day I was preparing food (the day before) I had a feeling they would cancel (and they did) but, I froze several of the meals and enjoyed not having to cook for awhile!

    Love the verse you share ~ thank you! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great gathering! Congrats on a job well done :) I can't believe you guys have snow already! You look great and truly glowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an amazing time! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like everything turned out great. It sounds wonderful to have all those people joining in fellowship. Do you do this in place of going to church or added to it? I have read alot about church in the home and it really intrigues me.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know we have thought about doing some home fellowship now that we are living with Donnie's parents. We do still attend a church building on Sundays...we travel to our church in our old town or will go somewhere down here...whichever mood we may be in.. ha ha.. But there has been a few times where we have had home church. Its been so nice.

    Looks like you got it all together wonderfully. You are so organized Girl!! And you look so very beautiful and glowing. :)

    Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!