Friday, November 26, 2010

Reflections of Thanksgiving

How was your Thanksgiving?  What a great day we had!  I took so many pictures yesterday!  I’ll try not to overwhelm you with them all, but these are a few highlights from our day!

We started out the day watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.  This is a tradition that’s carried over since my childhood and my older children get a kick out of laughing at all the silly Broadway snippets they share on there!  Oh how I wanted to be a Rocket when I was a child…

During the parade I tried to take pictures of the children…wow Laffy Taffy was NOT cooperative!  Here’s the “best” one, in my opinion.014

My beauties.

This is our snack table…I can’t figure out how to spell the proper French word this early in the morning!  We ate this around 11.

thanksgiving 108

thanksgiving 109

My first time making punch…turned out VERY yummy!  And everybody thought it was great fun to use the punch bowl!  I didn't feed anybody breakfast so they snarfed down this food pretty quickly and with much thanks!  The only complaint was that I didn’t make enough Deviled Eggs—definitely a favorite at my house!

thanksgiving 113

Yum!

016

After snacks, I gave the children a couple new games to play, as is our Thanksgiving tradition!

023

026

They pretty much played games until it was time to get ready for our company

025

Our Table.

024

My homespun centerpiece.  (I bought the pumpkin at Trader Joe’s for .99 and the candle came from a thrift store!)

009                      003

Some other decorations I made that turned out pretty festive.

Should I put pictures of more food in now?  I can’t decide!  lol

After we ate dinner, more friends came over to join us for dessert!  I SHOULD have taken a picture of all the dessert-YUM!  The children had a great time playing games together and the parents visited and drank coffee.

002

012

010

Everybody left a little before 10:00 pm!  It was a full day, but so much fun!  We have an overwhelming huge list of things and circumstances to be thankful for.  At the top of the list though, is the provision of work that God has given my husband.  I’m reminded everyday of how blessed we are to have an income now.  Those feelings of unemployment are still very fresh and alive in me, I don’t take it for granted that we are still in the same house and that I have money to buy non-essentials like new games and cream puffs from Costco.  We are in such a different spot financially then we were last year at this time and we KNOW it’s because of God’s mercy alone!  It’s easy for children to forget things like that, but it’s important to remind them of God’s provisions, of how He’s been faithful to take care of our needs and blessed us beyond what we could ever ask or hope!  And just to prove that I haven’t gone completely  crazy, my thrifty side is alive and well—the turkey we ate for our Thanksgiving dinner was purchased over a year ago…we just COULDN’T spend .38 a pound on a turkey!  HA!

Lord’s blessings on the beginning of Advent!  Turn your hearts towards the Father and let His love fill you and pour out onto those around you!

Joyfully and with much thanks,

Mrs. Taffy

8 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos - which seems like an easy task with your beautiful children and preparations!! I could have used this post on Weds - I love the snack bar! I will keep that tucked in memory for other holiday meals. So simple and could be done ahead of time. My boys would LOVE the punch bowl too! I like the centerpiece, after setting out the linens yesterday morning I was wishing I had thought of an arrangement - and went with the pine cones from our nature study. . . . boring. :) Thanks for sharing your family and your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEd reading about your Thanksgiving Day. We have the same traditions with the Macys parade and new board games. ;-) I have watched the parade since I was a little girl too. I also loved the pictures of your family and home. Both are so beautiful! The one picture that shows the snow on the ground outside warmed my heart. Just beautiful! I love your centerpieces too. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I can't wait to read about your Thanksgiving celebrations as well! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new background! And we love playing Blokus! It's a great game for the whole family to play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watched the parade and used our punch bowl, I never did get to the games though. It looks like you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Decorations...you did a wonderful job! I like the tradition of games...might have to do that for Christmas...hugs to you and blessings to you and your family...love ya!

    I really like the picture of you and Mike...you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and your decorations are lovely! H1 and I love Apples to Apples. Before we moved here, we had a huge Christmas party at our house every year and that game was part of the entertainment (another friend brought their set and we combined the two so we had enough cards for all)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome day you all had. Yummy food! I bet it does feel good to have money to spend. We are still pinching pennies...ever so...Donnie's part-time job is giving us some money but I do miss the more we did have in the past. I rejoice and thank God for what we do have now and I rejoice and thank God for the future He has for us.

    Thanks for always sharing your lovely family with all of us. :)

    chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!