Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thankfulness Challenge

imagesCARMXTI7

It seems everywhere I turn in the Bible lately I’m reading how the Lord wants us to be thankful.

First in Philippians I learned that praying with thankfulness is the key to peace and a sound mind.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

In Romans Paul writes, “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” 1:20-21

What? That almost sounds like their futile thoughts and darkened hearts were in part due to unthankfulness! Scary!

“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations!” Psalm 100: 4-5

When we come before the Father in prayer, not only do we need to come with a humble heart, and a repentive heart, but also with a thankful heart!

thankful-script

You know some day’s it’s near impossible to think of something to be thankful for, those are the days that I usually find myself praying more frequently too. I wonder if being thankful allows God to hear our prayers better, respond sooner. I’m pretty sure God knows it’s part of our sinful nature to be ungrateful, that’s why He filled His word with reminders!

I remember reading about Corrie Ten Boom, she thanked God for the lice in prison, because it kept the guards away so they could talk about the Lord! Can you imagine? Isn’t that humbling?

This month of November I am going to strive everyday and in every situation to find things to be thankful for! I want my heart filled with thankfulness so their isn’t room for bitterness and strife, envy and malice. Will you strive with me? Will you join me in this thankfulness challenge? The world needs to see God’s children as thankful and happy, not discontent and ungrateful! We are children of the King and one day our longings and sorrows will disappear as we kneel before the King of Kings! That alone should keep our hearts filled with thankfulness for at least a hundred years! I can’t wait for that day!

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Thankfully,

Mrs. Taffy

P.S. Don’t be surprised if your thankfulness is contagious! :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I have found myself lately not approaching things with thanksgiving. I must confess that I have been unthankful in my heart because things may not be going "my way". So reading this post you wrote has convicted me and yes, i will join in this challenge. I need to...I have to! :)

    Sometimes it is so easy to complain about what is NOT going right but when I step back and look at what we truly do have there is so much to be thankful for. Wow!!

    Thanks!

    Sending my love,

    chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something our pastor has been encouraging all of us to do- to be thankful and full of gratitude. He's given the congregation various challenges each week- one week it was to say 5 things you are thankful to God for, before your feet even hit the ground out of bed! The next week we were supposed to encourage others with our thankfulness, by telling 5 different people something about them that we were grateful/thanked God for. I've noticed the people and leadership in our new church are some of the most joyful, encouraging, and kindest people we've met...and I think their "attitude of gratitude" is one of the big reasons why!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I printed out the first verse and hung it up in my kitchen so that whenever I see it, I will be reminded. Thank you for your constant encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!