Monday, December 6, 2010

The 12 Days of Christmas

12days_lg

This has never been one of my favorite Christmas songs, but when I saw Project Pack offered by In the Hands of a Child, I thought I’d give it a try.  I wanted to do something fun with Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum during the month of December.  I didn’t expect the meaning behind the song to be so interesting!  Honestly I didn’t learn this from the Project Pack but from a book my oldest daughter shared with me.

  51Cxgsa2ApL__SL500_AA300_

This book shares the true meaning behind the 12 Days of Christmas Song.  Apparently back in the mid 1500’s through 1829 it was against the law for Catholics to practice their faith in public or private, this was in England.  The Catholic parent’s still wanted to teach their children the basics of their faith and made up this rather silly, unassuming song to it teach them.  It’s basically a “secret code.”  Here’s the cypher of that code:

True Love= God the Father

A Partridge in a Pear Tree=Jesus Christ, the son of God.

Two Turtledoves=The Old and New Testaments

Three French Hens= Faith, Hope, Love

Four Calling Birds=The Four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Five Golden Rings= The first five books of the Old Testament

Six Geese A-Laying= The six days in which God created the world

Seven Swans A-Swimming=The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit

Eight Maids A-Milking= the eight Beatitudes found in Matthew’s Gospel

Nine Ladies Dancing=The nine fruit of the Holy Spirit

Ten Lords A-Leaping=The Ten Commandments

Eleven Pipers Piping=the eleven Faithful Apostles

Twelve Drummers Drumming=the twelve elements of faith found in the Apostles Creed

What child doesn’t love a secret code?  We are having so much fun learning this song and making a lapbook about it!  I didn’t expect it turn into a lapbook about important truths in the Bible, but that’s what’s happening!

Merry Christmas!

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. How fun!! We did a lapbook on The 12 Days of Christmas too a couple years ago. It was the biggest one we ever did because of all the fun TRUTHS we learned for each day. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to look into this study and the book. My oldest girl loves Elsie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very interesting! I had never heard this before either.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!