Thursday, December 23, 2010

Grief, Love and Christmastime

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This may start out as a ramble as I get my thoughts straight…I think I’m grieving…

A few things have made me so sad lately that I can’t seem to snap out of it.  One is the loss of my best friend’s baby.  I’m so sad for her and her family and the pain they are going through during Christmas.  I want so badly to be a comfort and support to her.  I was so happy that we were pregnant together.  My heart is grieving for them.

Another is the realization of what a wretch I am.  I am so thankful for God’s saving grace, but so aware of my short-falls and hypocrisy’s. 

And finally, the state of Christendom at Christmastime.  Sometimes it’s just plain embarrassing to be called a Christian, and this isn’t for Christ’s sake, it’s because of how the world sees our fighting and nitpicking and finger pointing.  It drives me up the wall!  I’ve seen and heard so much controversy about Christmas Trees and “Merry Christmas” and what have you, it’s getting annoying. 

Why did God send His Son?  Because of Love.  Jesus shows us God’s love clearly.  A Christmas tree is just a Christmas tree. Nobody is going to lose their salvation over having a Christmas tree in their house, but someone could lose their salvation, or their faith, over watching and hearing believers fight over such nonsense.  I honestly don’t care how people celebrate Christmas, I care that they LOVE each other!  Because that’s the true reason for celebrating, because God sent His Son to show us how much He LOVED us!  It’s an awesome and amazing gift!  Don’t dwell on decorations and presents, dwell on Christ, dwell on loving each other.  And remember:

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”  Colossians 3:17

I’ll step off my soap box now…Smile

One way I’m “loving” my family and my neighbors is by baking.  We have some deliveries to make this afternoon, I’m sending my little ambassadors out to share some love! 

Merry Christmas to you all!  Hope my sadness doesn’t effect you loving your family wholeheartedly without excuse! 

Love and hugs,

Mrs. Taffy

7 comments:

  1. A friend's child, a friend's dad, a friend's uncle, my sister in law to cancer - all this week. Gone.
    All of the crazy hyper focus/unfocus of what Christmas time is for - and what the non christian world thinks we think its for - and what the media likes to show - good gravy. Its too much.
    Today is our 21'st wedding anniversary - so I'm feeling the love too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Carissa. You are a wonderful person. Love Aunt Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right ON!!!! Enough with Christians fighting! Fighting over this or that, and having a strong or passionate view on this or that, or shame on so and so, or looking down their nose at... it makes me sad too. It also makes me sad that this time is not cherished like it once was. Everything is soo busy and nothing can slow down... not even for CHRISTmas... :-(

    But you are making a difference. Touching peoples lives with love and homemade goodness! It makes me smile just thinking about your little ambassadors out there... you are wonderful. Thanks Carissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog quite often but don't normally post. You are such an inspiration to me and I just wanted to say that I am praying for both you and your best friend. May you both find joy and comfort in our loving Father's arms. There is so much grief and sadness in this world but we have His awesome promise of everlasting joy and happiness. May we all know, feel, and share that with others this Christmas season! Hugs and Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the loss of your friends baby and for the grief your friend must be feeling during this time. I remember I had a close friend of mine who was pregnant along with me and she lost her baby. It was hard for both of us. I remember it was so hard for me to be around her because I didn't want my pregnancy to bring her down. She did need her space during the initial loss and that was hard for me to distance myself from her for a time. But all is well today :)

    And amen about the reason for Christmas....yeah...it doesn't matter just as long as we worship and glorify the Lord everyday of our lives. And how we love each other....you nailed it there sister!! It is about LOVE!!!

    Sending my love and merry christmas blessings today....

    Love you all,

    chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so, so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's baby!

    Good word Carissa! I couldn't agree more with what you had to share about your Christmas sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely wonderful. You are clearly an amazing Mommy with a Happy Home, indeed! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!