Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Canning Goals

I love the idea of canning.  I love the look of glass jars filled with beautiful food that someone has lovingly packed and sealed for another day.  I don’t know much about canning, and what I do know I’ve pretty much taught myself.  Canning is a LOT of work.  It’s actually a little expensive too, if you have to buy everything new.  At the end of the day, I think it’s worth it though. 

I’ve always made jam.  Somebody must have taught me that?  Mom?  Otherwise I might have just tried it on my own and asked my mom if I was doing it right.  She has always made jam, so has my grandma.  Maybe Grandma showed me how?  I wish I could remember! 

We went strawberry picking this weekend, for the sole purpose of making jam!

003

I think it’s just SO pretty!  I made 7 batches of strawberry and 1 batch of “rhu-berry.”  That’s my new name for strawberry rhubarb.  I want to have 52 jars of jam stored away until next berry/fruit picking season.  I have 32 jars so far.  I still want to make raspberry jam when our raspberries come in and possibly blueberry.

002

Here’s my  canning/freezing goals for the summer:

  • 52 pint size jars of jam-32 down 20 to go! (1 jar a week)
  • 12 quart size jars of hot salsa (for Mr. Taffy-1 a month, it’s how I get him to eat tomatoes!)
  • 4 gallon freezer bags full of blueberries
  • 4 gallon freezer bags full of sliced peaches
  • 6 quart size jars of fruit syrup-blueberry and raspberry
  • canned peaches-not sure how many yet.  I tried canning pears one year and it was a disaster, I’m a little more confident now so I might try it again.  I love peaches on cottage cheese and canned would be nicer than frozen.  I order peaches and blueberries from Michigan each year and pick them up in Wisconsin.  I’ll be calling in my order on Tuesday.
  • Zucchini-either frozen shredded or frozen baked into bread.  My children LOVE zucchini bread.

I have some other goals as well, but it kind of depends on how well the garden does.  We haven’t had any garden item do so well that we had to freeze the harvest, we just pretty much ate it all as it was ripening.  My squash and zucchini seem happier this year though, so maybe I’ll have extra, that’s my hope anyway.

I bought a ketchup mix…to make my own ketchup.  That would be fun too, just depends on how many I get from my garden.  Salsa is first on the list, ketchup second.

With all the dishes I’ve washed the past few days it’s a wonder my fingernails are still long!  I LOVE rubber gloves!

How about you?  Do you can or freeze food in the summer?  What do you like to make?

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

7 comments:

  1. I also love the idea of canning, would like to do more. At this time I make and freeze zucchini bread. I make several quarts of dill pickles. I freeze fruit we pick to make jelly and pies with throughout the year. My plan is to watch my mom can green beans this year, so I can learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about ketchup! What a great way to use up all our tomatoes. Thanks for the idea! I love canning too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and yummy! I think I helped you make your first batch of strawberry jam, when Chocolate Taffy was born and you were living in that downstairs apartment. I remember wanting to show you how EASY it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I canned Applesauce and Spaghetti Sauce. I LOVED the applesauce! I liked how I could make it a little more chunky! I would probably just do a tomato sauce this year vs an actual Spaghetti sauce. Here is what I did: http://pamscooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/applesauce.html.

    Also, if you're growing peppers, make Peppered Jelly! Not only is it so great to have on hand if someone pops over and you need a simple treat. But, it has made a great little Christmas Gift for neighbors and friends the last couple of years. Here is that recipe: http://pamscooking.blogspot.com/2009/12/pepper-jelly.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I love to can too! It is so much fun doing it to I think. I love the sound of the jars sealing. I get all excited when I hear te popping sounds. Just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jam looks beautiful and tasty!

    I have been looking for mason jars and atcually got quite a bit for free. Its my goal to start canning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jam looks yummy from here! This is something I really have not learned to do. I need to add it to my list...next year maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!