Saturday, July 2, 2011

Laundry: Mundane or Marvelous?

004

How do you feel about laundry?  Most people I know don’t like it very much.  They see it as a necessary task, but not something to be enjoyed.  I for one LOVE to do laundry.  I’ve been thinking about this post for months and how to articulate exactly why I find laundry so marvelous.  It’s true, it is tedious and it’s relentless but it’s also a constant reminder of the people in my life and the memories we’ve been making together.

005

When I hang these clothes out to dry and then fold them up later, I can’t help but think about the person who was wearing them and what they were doing when they wore them.  Those little octopus pajamas remind me of how sweet and snuggly Laffy Taffy was when I put him to bed last night.  That polka dot dress reminds me of the little girl that twinkled and sparkled for an entire day-her joy is boundless!

003

Those denim jean shorts remind me of my hardworking, hard playing husband and the time he spends taking care of us and making us happy.  Those black shorts remind me the jobs my sons have and the blessing that the job is in so many ways.

001

These clean and folded diapers remind me of the baby that I am so blessed to be caring for, for her bowels that are working properly and for the joy I find in cloth diapering.

002

These towels and swimsuits remind me of the fun that my little people have been having playing in the kiddie pool on the little deck.  They think I’m “the best” for letting them do that.

So the bottom line is, laundry makes me thankful.  Thankful for my family, thankful for the Lord’s provision, thankful for the memories that we are making together every day!

So to me laundry is MARVELOUS!  And it is relentless, relentless in it’s ability to bring me to a place of thankfulness and contentment.

“And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.”  1 Timothy 6:8

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

8 comments:

  1. SO FUNNY I am reading this right now. I am sitting on my bed, surrounded by 4 baskets of laundry that have needed folding and put away all week. But of course I am still putting it off. But thanks to your post, I am going to start looking at laundry differently. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! I too LOVE laundry though! It's hands down my favorite housework!! Thanks for the great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about perspective right? What an uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - for helping me to look at laundry differently. Isn't it great how God works. He puts something on your mind and in your heart to share, which may sound odd or difficult at first to express, but He has a way of showing His love through you to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. To me laundry is the most tedious job of my housework. I have been praying for a more cheerful attitude. This post is an answer to that. I will from now on think of all the wonderful things done in the clothes I am washing and count my blessings. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post! I also love your little laundry sign on your clothes line. I am going to have to add one to mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love laundry also...hoping to pass that love on to my daughter! My FAVORITE thing about laundry is hanging them out to dry...what a feeling that is! I love watching the clothes move with the breeze...love the knowledge of the air making them fresh and the sun helping to kill germs...and best of all we all think towels feel great after being outside...like a loffa(sp?)...laundry is great and it does remind us that we have been blessed with people in our lives. Niced post!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!