Sunday, July 10, 2011

Taffy, Dolls and Offenses

So this weekend I got to feel the pull of the Great Candy Maker once again as He stretched this piece of taffy and exposed some things in my heart.

It all started on Friday when Mr. Taffy was offered a full-time job at a regional bank.  His title is Vice President, Senior Product Manager.  Tears of joy leaked from my eyes as I saw that title and heard all the benefits that come with it.  God is so faithful!  Since word of the new job we decided to go ahead with our plans to find a shed for our backyard.  We found a cute one on Craig’s list and Saturday morning went to see it in person. 

The house and neighborhood we went too was AMAZING!  Amazing in a wealthy sort of way.  Huge homes, 4 car garages, acreage surrounding each house.  In particular, the house we visited had a full size tennis/basket ball court, two trampolines, an indoor swimming pool…on the list went.  They clearly were doing well financially.  Guess what else?  They are believers, with 6 children too!  After the Mr. of the house showed us the shed he showed us other numerous things that he was selling, they are moving to Florida, to a plantation.  Lovely home, lovely family, evidence of a relationship with Christ everywhere.  So where was the pulling exactly?

It’s not that I was jealous.  I am very much thankful and content in our home and in the belongings we have, sure sometimes I get iPad envy, but other than that I’m not generally jealous of wealthy people or other people’s stuff. I have to tell you that I got a little offended and here’s why.

He started saying talking about blessing someone, then called his daughter who proceeded to show us a box full of  various dolls, two of which were Bitty Baby dolls.  Not only were there Bitty Baby, but there were a couple of those Bitty Baby wicker suitcases and three generic baby dolls.  He told us how his daughter had already sold $1200 worth of American Girl stuff.  She must have had a lot!  Anyway, he asked her how much she wanted for the dolls.  He made an assumption here, that I wanted the dolls (1st offense).  He then did some strange sort of negotiating, probably somewhat how he’s been so successful, it was little over my head, but he offered the dolls to us for $25.00 and asked his daughter if that was what she wanted for them.  His daughter was extremely shy and uncomfortable and just kept saying she didn’t care. “I don’t care Daddy.”  “I don’t care Daddy.”  Clearly she did though because she eventually ran out of the garage in tears.  So, in typical garage sale fashion I made a counter offer.  I offered $10.00 for one doll and one basket, seemed far since 1) I didn’t really want the dolls and 2) he started the bidding at $25.00 for all of it. 

The next thing I know Mr. Taffy is offering $100.00 for the whole lot!  WHAT?  (Offense #2)  Apparently while all this was going on the Holy Spirit had already told Mr. Taffy to offer the girl $100 for it all.  Who am I to argue with Holy Spirit?  My third offense came when I focused on how I felt manipulated to buy a bunch of junky dolls.  Instead, my focus should have been on the joy that comes when being obedient.  Really, the dolls aren’t the issue.  Lord knows I love dolls, the Lord also knows I love a good deal, this scenario wasn’t about either.  It was about the little girl who needed to know that God knew her and what she wanted for those dolls that were once very precious to her.  Her dad later told us that yes indeed, $100 was what she wanted for those dolls but was too shy to say.  I don’t know exactly why he said the whole blessing thing and $25.00 thing from the start, but that doesn’t really matter (that’s where I felt manipulated).  What matters is how I let myself focus on my offenses instead of the joy and blessings that come from being obedient and from blessing somebody. 

Bubble Gum Taffy is very happy with her new Asian Bitty Baby and Wicker Suitcase.   I have the second Bitty Baby to pack away and save for Marshmallow when she gets older and I have some dolls to donate to the Thrift store that sends all it’s money to an orphanage in Honduras, there’s a very happy little girl in a mini-mansion in small town Minnesota and I was blessed to have the Lord reveal some issues with my heart.  Phew! It’s been a busy weekend!

“For whom the Lord loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.”  Proverbs 3:12

“ My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.”  Hebrews 12:5-6

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

P.S.  As a side note…Mr. Taffy did assure me that he KNEW that wasn’t a deal, it was all about the little girl and had nothing really to do with the dolls.  I’m so relieved to know that he knows that!  lol

4 comments:

  1. :) I love this story. One, I love that you shared your battle with in. Two, I love that your husband heard and obeyed God ESPECIALLY when it went against financial reason. You and your family rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great story! I can only imagine that the dolls had some meaning to the little girl and I am so thankful that your DH was willing to be used by God to bless the little girl for obeying her father to sell them. Why does that bring tears to my eyes? Aaah must be the preggo hormones, ha ha! Really, the price wasnt too bad for 2 Bitty Babies and Bitty Baby accessories, not a 'deal' but not a rip off either. Congrats to your family on the new job!!!! What a difference from just a short time ago. God is good :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from the TOS Review Crew! I love the taffy theme and nicknames you've given your children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Mike on the job!! (Did you get the shed?) Love, Aunt Claudia.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!