Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Feel and Find~Guide Craft Review

Logo_2-300x155

I have some good news and some bad news.  First the bad news, this is my final month being a member of the Guide Craft mom bloggers.  To say that this makes me sad is an understatement as being a blogger for Guide Craft has brought me and my children great joy.  The good news is, at the end of this review, you’ll be able enter a giveaway to win your own set of Feel and Find World Icons.

t353_24d175bcce9695ba8ff12c4defec357c

Have you ever played with anything like this before?  Even before being a Guide Craft Mom Blogger I recognized the value and benefit of this kind of sensory toy!  Inside the roomy cotton bag are 20 tiles and 20 shaped blocks.  They are made from Eco-friendly rubberwood, stained with low VOC aniline dyes. 

009                    012

When I first introduced this sensory toy I just let Laffy Taffy match up the shapes with the tiles.  We talked about what the different shapes were, what the different colors were.  This was like a puzzle and he really enjoyed it.

019

Then, so as not to overwhelm him, I would pick one or two colors of tiles and put only those corresponding shapes in the bag.  I would tell him reach into the bag and feel around, find a tile and then have him tell me what shape he thought he had.  About half the time he was correct.

018

Some shapes have very similar outlines, others are more obvious.  A lion and a hippo don’t feel that different initially, neither do a turtle and a leaf.  But that’s the whole idea of this sensory toy, to get them seeing with their hands.

021                 015

This sensory toy is safe for children 3 and up, but I wouldn’t hesitate to let a 2 year old or even a little younger than that, give it try with supervision. 

013

All matched up and sorted by color.  You could also sort by categories:  animals, shapes, etc. 

Guide craft sells this fantastic learning toy for $30.00.  You can also find it selling on Amazon for a little bit less.  This is definitely one of those things that would be a great asset to your preschool no matter what your teaching philosophy!

To win your own set, visit Xenia over at Thanks Mail Carrier!

GCFeelFind

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclaimer-I was given the Feel and Find World Icons in exchange for my honest review.  All opinions are my own, I was not paid.

1 comment:

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!