Sunday, August 14, 2011

Garden Update~Mid August

This is the time of the year when I don’t enjoy the garden too much.  It’s starting to look over grown and messy to me.  Some of the plants are starting to die, as per their cycle, but it’s not as visually appealing as it was earlier in the summer. 

In the Kitchen:

002

We dug up one of our potato beds and found many beautiful potatoes.  They are white all the way through and nary a bug bite!  So thankful!

003

3 lovely zucchini and a not-so-lovely cucumber.  I think it was left on the vine for too long.  It didn’t taste bad though.  We are still getting cucumbers daily, they are crunchy and juicy and fresh, we just eat them sliced up with our lunches!

I also made pesto from the basil in our herb garden, it was so yummy! I made a pesto pizza with it, I forgot to take a picture.

In the garden:

004

Our grape vine, it’s growing nicely.  There’s one on the other side of the walkway too and eventually my husband will but the trellis together and we’ll get the grapes growing up and over it.

005

Our Kiwi is really growing too!

006

Our pumpkins aren’t doing very well.  They have mildew on the leaves, I forget the proper name but this happened to our pumpkins last year too.  Last year we got a few pumpkins even though the leaves looked terrible, but I have yet to see any fruit on this vine.  Pumpkins don’t like our soil, like the potatoes and tomatoes do.

008

See all the green tomatoes in there?  These plants are HUGE, they are taller than me and I’m 5’7”.

010

The picture didn’t capture it, but the bees were incredibly busy when I was out there!  They were LOUD!  In and out, in and out.  When I looked up above my head it was like fireworks going off, each little missile going in it’s own direction- up, up and away!

012

This is kind of funny…a cucumber growing through the pea trellis. 

That’s it.  It’s amazing and incredible and messy and buggy and satisfying and dirty and GREEN!  I love our garden, but I can’t wait to clean it up! 

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. My garden is looking rather wild and wooly right now, too. Gigantic tomato plants, unruly cucumber vines, far too many weeds. About this time each year I vow that NEXT year I will take better care and do much more planning for my garden!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!