Saturday, August 13, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up~Week 1

weeklywrap-up2

It was back to school week for us!  I’m happy to report that it went better than I expected. 

007

Everybody was pretty much ready since I’ve been announcing the start date pretty much daily for a month, so they KNEW it was coming.  Still, some people were more ready than others. 

Here’s a run down on everybody’s favorite subjects so far:

Banana Taffy-He doesn’t actually have a favorite, maybe next month when he starts PSEO he’ll have a favorite.  He’s one that’s not very excited about school.

Chocolate Taffy-The Art of Argument from Classical Academic Press.  This is both good and bad.  He’s learning how to interpret what he’s reading and hearing, but he’s also acquiring the skills to know whether or not his parents know what they are talking about!  ha!   

image

Strawberry Taffy-Latin Alive!  Book 1  She really wants to be a missionary and she wants to learn a couple different languages, so I thought a good foundation for her would be Latin.  She loves it!  We’ve been studying some Latin  since she was in elementary school, but this is the first time she’ll be actually learning the grammar of Latin and all that it entails.  She likes it because Latin doesn’t have any silent letters and the grammar/phonics rules don’t change, like they do in English.  I bought her the DVD set so she has a “real” teacher. 

image

Blue-Raspberry-He is my most enthusiastic about school.  I hope it lasts all year!  His favorite thing right now is Teaching Textbooks 3.  I’m not sure if it’s the actual math he loves or the fact that he gets to use my computer to do it!  He also loves his handwriting, he’s learning cursive this year and I think it makes him feel grown up.  I bought some of these smencils from Timberdoodle.  I only let him him use them when he’s doing school work, they make his learning time even more special I think.  He is also crazy about his Astronomy book by Apologia.

image

Bubble Gum-She says she doesn’t like school…not sure I totally believe her.  I did just ask her what her favorite subjects are and she said reading (Bible Nurture from Rod and Staff) and Math (Mathematical Reasoning Level B), she does love her Smencil too.  lol 

Laffy Taffy-His favorite so far is his Pasting book that I found at Costco.  Timberdoodle sells it too!

image

One thing I’m trying to do this year, that I haven’t done in years past, is to give the school room a good cleaning on Fridays after we finish.  It was a chore that the kids had but not on Friday’s.  Something about finishing a school week with a clean school room just appeals to my need for order.  There were so many scraps and pencil shavings and bb’s on the floor.  I’m going to attempt to keep my messy little people out of there until Tuesday when we resume.  It might not be possible but they are sick…so maybe.

I’m linking up to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.  If you want to see what other homeschoolers did this week, just visit this link!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. That's a great, Fall feeling to be getting back to school. You are amazing! teaching all those classes at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great week; I think that some of those books are going on my wishlist. Good luck getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you've had a great first week back.

    We've just finished week 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of learning latin to help with other language learning for a future missionary. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!