Sunday, September 18, 2011

Coat Inventory

We live in a state that has 4 seasons, we also have a total of 9 people living here.  4 seasons x 9 people = A whole lot of coats!!

This was the first time I took such an aggressive approach to taking inventory.  Normally I have a basic idea of who has what and who needs what, but this year I didn’t want to rely on my post-partum brain.  So I’m going to share how I did this, in case it inspires you to do the same.

The first thing I did was gather every coat and jacket from every place in the entire house.  There were some in the coat closet, a bunch in the laundry room closet, some hanging in the garage, some hanging in the back hallway and some in the kid’s grow-into-buckets.  I piled them all up on the dining room table.  I had my handy-dandy note book in hand and wrote down everybody’s names, skipping lines so there was room to write every little thing down.  As I sorted through the coats I would write down the style size and color next to the persons name.  Mr. Taffy’s list is the longest and looks like this:

  • Winter Coat-Land’s End XXLT
  • Microfiber Trench Coat with Lining-Men’s Warehouse XXLT
  • Fall Coat-Olive, Microfiber with fleece lining, Eddie Bauer XXLT
  • Jean Jacket (for outside work)
  • Fall Coat-Tan with fleece lining, Land’s End, XXLT

And for each name I also put a check box with the words Winter Gloves next to them.  I always lose track of who has nice gloves.  Mr. Taffy does.  (smile)

As I was sorting through, I was getting rid of things that were too small putting them directly into a donation bag, making a pile of coats that looked like they hadn’t been washed since the end of last winter and packing away ones that somebody will wear someday.  Now, my front hall closet is loaded with only heavy-duty winter coats in order from youngest to oldest.  The fall jackets are hanging in the garage on the coat hooks and all the rest are put away.  Making the list helped me to see any holes in the coat department and I’m happy to report that everybody is set for the fall and cold winter months that are approaching much too quickly.

029

Now, I just need Chocolate Taffy to climb up in the attic and get down the boots and the hats and the gloves, then I’ll really know what’s going on.  Just praying I found everything I needed over the summer!

Happy organizing!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. Now that's some inspiration! All H1's coats and mine are in the living room closet, and all the hats and scarves, along with H3's coats, are hiding in the bench-seat when you walk in our front door. She does have one nice coat and a couple sweaters in her closet, but the down coats/vests are in the bench. I need to reorganize!
    ~H2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, when are you expecting this cold weather? Not too soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great job organizing and inspiring us! Could you share your shoe organization tips? I'm having a hard time managing shoes for our crew!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!