Friday, October 21, 2011

Mini Pumpkin Muffins

001

Sometimes the key to losing weight, even when you are surrounded by people that need to eat constantly, is to make things mini.  My daughter requested these muffins, so to accommodate her need and my need, I shrunk them (and changed a few ingredients)!

Mini Pumpkin Muffins~

  • 1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used rice milk because of milk allergies)
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp vanilla

Topping~

  • 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Heat oven to 400.  Generously Grease mini muffin pans.  Combine dry ingredients.  Add pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, applesauce, milk, egg and vanilla, stirring just until moistened.  Fill muffin cups.  I put the batter in a large baggie, snipped a hole in the corner and squeezed the batter out into the muffin pan.  Much less messy!  Next combine the topping ingredients until crumbly and spoon on top of muffins.  I had left-over topping.

  • For mini muffins bake for 8 minutes, makes 44.
  • For standard muffins bake for 15-20 minutes, makes 18.

The muffins do better uncovered, when I made them I put them in a container until later and the topping got a little soft, if you want a crunchy topping, keep them uncovered until serving, unless you aren’t planning on eating them the same day.

There are approximately 69 calories per mini muffin.  Of course my children ate several each, but I was content with just one, well maybe not content, but definitely resigned…it tasted amazing!  I have a special attachment to these muffins because they were served at our wedding.  We had brunch and these muffins along with some others were served!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of your wedding, I was at Goodwill and saw the pretty Pier I basket weave design plates that you used at your wedding! I was amazed I recognized them instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally OT, but I passed the Versatile Blogger Award onto you and your blog. I posted on my blog if you're like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely trying this recipe out!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!