Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Season of Memories

I just love a reason to celebrate!  There have been so many lately!  The first thing we celebrated was Banana and Chocolate finishing their first semester of college.  We celebrated with their favorite dinner of spaghetti and homemade meatballs.  I also made homemade bread sticks and green beans.  For dessert we had fancy vanilla ice-cream with homemade fudge and caramel sauce. (I’ve been making every from scratch since discovering Chocolate’s allergy to soy.)  We even sang to them-For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow.  It was great!  That was Thursday night.

Then Friday night the girls and I went to see the Celtic Woman Christmas Concert.  I hope this was just the first of many, many more “girl’s night out” with my daughters.

007

Here we are before the show starts.  I took this picture with my little camera. 

Since Strawberry is interested in all things Irish, she got attached to the Celtic Woman.  I’ve allowed the obsession because the girls are so lady-like and feminine, they sing like ladies, talk like ladies and behave like ladies, dress like ladies.  Strawberry knew they were coming to the Twin Cities and the day the tickets went on sale she was ready to purchase them with her own money!  Well, Mr. Taffy was going to have none of that, so he bought them for his girls.  It was a great night!

005

We were in the 3rd balcony, way up there, but it didn’t matter.  The sound was amazing.  The girls were on the stage with the orchestra.  We weren’t allowed to take pictures during the show, this was before it started.

Strawberry and Bubble Gum imagined how wonderful it would be if it started snowing when we came out of the theater.  Those girls and their dreams!  (smile)  It hasn’t snowed much at all this winter, but would you believe it started snowing last night when the show was over?  You should have heard the squeals of delight!  Downtown Minneapolis was beautifully decorated and lit up, it was a magical moment for sure.

Now for Saturday, Saturday marks the beginning of our Christmas break.  We have 3 weeks off.  Fellowship was cancelled on account of most everybody being sick (not us), so instead we played games, made treats and decorated gingerbread houses.  What my little ones call a “family fun time.”

008

016

014                      015

010

She was so funny, every time I pointed the camera at her, she lit up and smiled a big cheesy smile for me!

018

Laffy Taffy decorated some gingerbread men, so did Bubble Gum.

025

Bubble Gum’s Cookies.

030

044

034

She was totally whining until she saw the camera looking at her!  So funny!

050

Banana and Strawberry shared a house.

051

059

Chocolate and Blue-Raspberry shared a house too.  There’s was so beautiful!

060

The mess was tremendous but compared to the memory made it was NOTHING! 

I hope you are enjoying your Christmas Season too!  As the woman of the house you have all the power to make it a season of joy or stress, a season of scowling or a season of smiles!  When I feel the stress of wanting everything to be perfect rising up in me, I push that beast back because it’s not what I want my children to remember about this time.  I want them to remember a joyful momma who delighted in all things Christmas and Candy, sparkles and snowflakes!  It’s such a short window of time we have with our little ones, we must make the most of it!

Joy, joy, joy!!

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful family, and such great advice for all of us. You are truly an inspirational person. I along with many people I know read your blog, and feel completely uplifted, and inspired by your words. Thank you for this, it is definately God doing his work through you. Sincerely, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun you all are having!! I'm actually finishing up school with Annabelle this week (we were a bit behind). Starting Thursday Zak will have about 2 weeks off so we are really excited about that and ready to make some memories ourselves. :) The gingerbread houses look like so much fun! We're doing cookie decorating at my mom's house on Tuesday....should be a fun mess. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! You have a precious family! I hopped over today from Totally Tots! I agree with so much of you what said. As the mama of my fam, I do set the tone and atmosphere so many days. thank you for that reminder! Merry CHRISTmast to you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!