Friday, January 13, 2012

A healthy and wholesome meal.

This business of feeding my family is very time-consuming and also very satisfying.  I always feel like I’ve accomplished something significant when I’ve delivered a healthy and delicious dinner to my family.  Here’s one of the dinner’s we had this past week.

004

Homemade chicken nuggets, Crunchy Potatoes, Mashed Acorn Squash and Peas.  There were also oranges on the table.  I’m always trying to pack as many fruits and veggies into my children as I can afford.  :)

Chicken Nuggets~

  • Chicken breast
  • Panko Bread Crumbs (Trader Joe’s)
  • Brown Sugar, optional
  • Garlic Salt

This is one of those recipes that you just make as much as you need.  For my family I use three BIG chicken breasts, cut into pieces about the size of a common chicken nugget.  Then in a bowl I mix together the panko, brown sugar and garlic.  You can either dredge each nugget in the mixture or you can put the coating in a big Ziploc bag and cover the nuggets “shake and bake” style.  Put the nuggets on a cookie sheet, lightly oiled and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Cut a thick nugget in half to check for doneness. 

002

On this pan here, you’ll see the nuggets I described above and the ones I made for myself.  (Don’t worry, I didn’t eat all of those)  The white ones are covered in unsweetened coconut.  I eat them like this because they are gluten-free and I’m trying to avoid gluten (for weight-loss reasons).  They are SO yummy this way!  Not all of my family likes coconut otherwise I would make all the nuggets this way!!

Crunchy Potatoes~

  • 6-9 Yukon Gold or 12-14 Little Red Potatoes, cut in cubes
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. all purpose vegetable seasoning
  • pepper to taste

Give the potatoes a good scrub and them cut them up with the skins on.  Put all the little cubes a in Ziploc bag, dump the other ingredients on top, zip up the bag and shake, shake, shake!  Pour the potatoes onto a buttered cookie sheet (the kind with sides, otherwise use 2-9 x 13 pans, you don’t want the potatoes piled on top of each other too high.  Add a few little cubes of butter to the potatoes, scattered around.  I use less than a quarter cup, just lots of little pieces.  Bake at 375 for an hour, stirring occasionally.  My family LOVES these things!  They all cheer when they smell them baking, good ole’ stinky parmesan!  lol

001

Mashed Acorn Squash~

If you’re intimidated by squash, don’t worry, you are not alone!  I promise the hardest part is cutting it up!  I took 2 acorn squash, cut them in half and scooped out the seeds.  Then I gave the squash halves a good rinse and steamed them in my vegetable steamer basket on the stove top, flesh side down. I steamed them for about 30 minutes.  You can check for doneness be piercing the skin with a fork, if it goes in easily, it’s soft enough.  Then I let them cool for a bit, once I could stand touching them, I scooped out all the yummy orange part and put the “fruit” in a bowl.  Mash with a potato masher.  You can add butter and salt now, or a little chicken broth and salt, or a little honey and salt.  Squash is naturally sweet, so I don’t normally add more sweetener.  I like to use an ice-cream scoop when I serve it.  Laffy Taffy, who does NOT appreciate squash, will eat it if I give him some unsalted pecans to use as a scoop.  He loves pecans and he will eat all his squash this way!

Peas~

Personally, I think Trader Joe’s Peas are the best, sweet and not chalky at all!

There you have it!  A delicious and wholesome dinner to love and nurture you family!  Feed them well!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! I'll have to try the coconut chicken - I LOVE coconut! I also love your attitude to making good food for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!