Saturday, January 21, 2012

A message to young ladies~Move Quickly!

As a family we have a goal of reading through the Bible this year, as I’ve mentioned before.  One day last week when we were reading through Genesis and the account of how Rebekah became Isaac’s bride, I was struck with something, she moved QUICKLY!

Now the young woman was very beautiful to behold, a virgin; no man had known her.  And she went down to the well, filled her pitcher and came up.  And the servant ran to her and said, “Please let me drink a little water from your pitcher.”  So she said, “Drink my lord.”  Then she quickly let her pitcher down to her hand, and gave him a drink.  And when she had finished giving him a drink, she said, “I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking.”  They she quickly emptied her pitcher into the trough, ran back to the well to draw water, and drew for his camels.  Genesis 24:16-20

Then a few verses later…

So the young woman ran and told her mother’s household of these things. vs. 28

Her quick movements got the attention of Abraham’s servant when he recapped what had happened, here he is speaking to Rebekah’s family,

And she made haste and let her pitcher down from her shoulder, and said, ‘Drink, and I will give your camels a drink also.’ So I drank, and she gave the camels a drink also. vs. 46

There is more evidence of her moving quickly throughout the rest of this story, but I don’t want to focus on their short engagement, I want to focus on the way she physically moved-quickly!

Noah Webster defines quickly as: Speedily; with haste or celerity (Rapidity in motion; swiftness; speed).  Rebekah was not lollygagging, she was not slow and mellow, she was purposed, earnest, FAST!  I love it!  It’s attractive in a young lady to see her moving quickly about her tasks.  It’s a beautiful thing to see a young lady know her position and purpose and do it with elegance and joy.  Being quick speaks to her commitment to doing the thing which she set out to do or was asked to do.  It’s no small task watering 10 camels until they have had enough!  Quickness testifies to determination, exuberance, passion. 

Think about the opposite of Quick:  lazy, slow, sluggish.  I hope I never have to use those words to describe my daughters!  And I hope they never use those words to describe me!

There is a young lady in my life that reminds me of Rebekah.  In her purposed joyful movements I can see a glimpse of the woman that she will become.  A woman who will (and does) approach every request with determination, every situation with exuberance and joy.  She has pizzazz and it’s attractive, she has a million friends because of it!  She will be a fantastic wife and mother one day, using that energy, that quickness to do the things she needs to do, honoring her husband and her Lord!  I have no doubt she will be able to keep up with whatever surprises the Lord sends her way because she’s quick, like Rebekah!

So my exhortation to the young ladies who read my blog and the young ladies in my life, be quick, be purposed, be swift! Do the things you need to do and do them with joy and gusto, without hesitation.  The blessings of God followed Rebekah and I wouldn’t be surprised if they follow YOU too!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. All I can say to this is Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post! Thank you so much. We recently read this in our family devotion time(reading through the bible, would love to be apart of your SWORD group). And I made a little note to go back to that passage. I haven't yet, but I will tonight. Awesome insight from the Word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. Real good.
    Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great insight to that passage of scripture! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!