Thursday, February 16, 2012

What to do about Wheat!?

I don’t mean to be redundant, I know so many people are blogging about this right now but there are a few things I need to make note of for myself, if not for those of you who don’t read the same blogs/articles as me.  I’ve been a little heavy hearted about all the grain-speak and all the conflicting reports and methods about proper grain usage.  It’s overwhelming.  It’s frustrating.  I don’t have time for it all!  So I’ve been thinking on it and praying on it as I do when I hear conflicting reports. I believe more than anything, as believers our source needs to be God.  He knows best, He has the answers, He can lead in a way that may seem counter cultural but still correct.  As believers it’s our job to listen and obey.  So I’ve been praying about this for a while to make sure I’m not “poisoning” my family by not soaking their grains or by making them bread and feeding it to them often. 

Earlier this week we read a portion of Leviticus where God was talking about the different kinds of offerings, one being a grain offering.  It struck me how if God is blessed by grain, we can also be blessed by grain.

When anyone offers a grain offering to the Lord, his offering shall be of fine flour.  And he shall pour oil on it, and put frankincense on it.  He shall bring it to Aaron’s sons, the priests, one of whom shall take from it his handful of fine flour and oil with all the frankincense.  And the priest shall burn it as a memorial on the altar, an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the Lord.  Leviticus 1:1-2

My first thought after reading this, “if it was good enough for God and His priests, it’s good enough for my family!”

023

Still, there are people I know who insist the only way to eat grain is soaked first and those who say avoid them at all costs!  Sigh…Then I read this very good post by Laura at Heavenly Homemakers.  I couldn’t agree with her more.  As per her post, I went on to read this fascinating article by Bread Beckers.  This is a VERY well-written article and I’m going to ask my husband to read it because she has articulated what I’ve been feeling.  The incredible part of her article though is the last portion called The Attack on Bread – God’s Perfect Provision.  If you read nothing else, read this portion.  I think the wisdom here is profound and whether you agree or not, it’s still worth reading and considering.  I would never have been able to put that into words, but I believe she has nailed in on head, spiritually speaking! 

There are more serious things to worry about health wise.  Do you know that bitterness and unforgiveness can wreak more havoc on your body than anything you eat.  Scripture speaks to that repeatedly! 

The point of this post it to remind myself, and anyone else that needs reminding that there are a lot of voices out there, all have their passions and agendas, but as believers we must shut out the opinions and voices and tune into the Father, who gives wisdom LIBERALLY to all who ask!  He is the only source of accurate information, the only source worth really listening too.  His yoke is easy, His burden is light and it’s not too much for a health conscience, family-nourishing Mother to handle!

Thankful for His provision,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read all the articles you posted, but I personally have never felt like there was anything wrong with wheat. When I think of the Bible and wheat I think of the many times when God provided using wheat. Think of Ruth and Naomi.

    That being said i do have a child who has wheat sensitivity. It would be best that we not feed it to him at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes of course Angela! I'm not speaking to sensitivities and allergies at all...just the controversy around grains and how and when to eat them!

      Delete
  2. Yes and Amen! I have been wondering the same thing about the whole wheat controversy lately, and how it clearly was a major staple in biblical times and many a mention is made of it (positively) in the Bible. The primary purpose of the Bible certainly isn't a nutritional plan, but it does point us away from things that are unhealthy, spiritually AND physically. So glad to hear I am not the only one who's been pondering this!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!