Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Finish Line is in View

We’ve been plugging along here, this weekend I’ll be planning our final few weeks of homeschool.  We started early, in August if you recall.  I love to finish up by spring so that we can enjoy the spring activities:  getting our garden going, garage saling, used curriculum sales, etc.  I took a few pictures last week, of the different things that were going on in our homeschool.

Highschool/College~

054

Banana and Chocolate are quickly approaching the end of their Junior Year and their 2nd semester of college.  Finals are in the middle of April, they are busy working on final projects and studying for tests.

001

The three highschoolers, and myself are taking the Constitution 101 class given freely by Hillsdale College.  We watch 1 lecture a week and take the quiz following the lecture.  They get highschool credit for this class, but not college credit.

002

You can see we have some mixed reactions to the class.  lol 

008

She likes to do her science in her bedroom, off she goes!

As soon as they are all done with their classes I’ll work on making up their transcripts while everything is still fresh in my head.  Thankfully the college that the boys are going too sends me a “report card” that I can easily add to for a complete transcript.  It’s hard to believe they will both be seniors next year! 

Banana is trying to find employment, he’s got a second interview at a local restaurant today.  Chocolate wants a summer job too, but won’t start looking until after finals.

Elementary~

001

This picture cracks me up!  Various stages of dress, waving goodbye to Daddy!

We’ve been starting school at promptly 8:00 am.  They like to get right to work so they have more time to play later.

012

013    Bubble Gum was pretty happy because she finished her final 1st grade reader in the Bible Nurture Series from Rod and Staff. 

045

Starting a new 1st grade reader from Christian Light.

055

We’ve been doing a little poetry on Friday’s.  Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum practice reading a grade appropriate poem orally several times until they can read it with proper rhythm and pronunciation, they really enjoy this.

Preschool~

038

Sorting the letters he’s learned in All About Reading PreReading. 

040

049

Look at his tongue!  It was going to town while he was doing this activity!

002

004

He put these all in order, without any prompting from me so that he could easily do this-

006

Tiny-Tot School~

Oh, to have a busy baby in the school room…tests my patience that’s for sure!  She’s at the height where she’s always bonking her head on the little table and getting stuck under the big table when she stands using somebody’s chair. Still, she’s so adorable, that fuels a lot grace!

008

043

004

She LOVES this poke-a-dot book that I bought from Timberdoodle!  It holds her attention for a good long time, in baby minutes anyway.

010         011

Everyday is not perfect and the week that I took most of these pictures was an especially emotional one.  Bubble Gum had a hard week, with victories and challenges.  One day she was crying and mad because the Greek Alphabet didn’t have certain letters from her name!  Really?  That kind of silliness really gets to me!  But we made it through and this week we’ve been focusing on obeying mom quickly, without delay and with a cheerful attitude.  I have a certain 4 year old who can be so ornery.  Thankfully he responds quickly to discipline, as long as I stay consistent, he’s much easier to be around!

And since it’s still winter and I’m getting a little cooped up feeling and a little weary from all this consistency, I bought myself something to cheer me on.

018

I love Above Rubies.  Nancy Campbell never fails to encourage me and keep me on track and inspired!

So there you have it!  That’s what been going on in our homeschool!  How are you doing?  Are you hanging in there?  This is a tough time of year for most homeschoolers, but the end is close!  Don’t give up!  Spring is coming!!

joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. This is actually when I start to perk up and get more consistent. I really flounder Nov-Jan....then I buckle down and get a ton accomplished Feb.-Jun. then Aug.-Oct. It has a lot to do with the weather I'm pretty sure. I am just not a pleasant person to be around Nov.-Jan. (minus Christmas time of course). We still have a good 10 weeks or so left of our current curriculum.....that puts us middle of May-ish. How fun for you to be almost done though! So nice to finish something. I'm looking forward to that feeling of completely accomplishing a real curriculum...that is something I haven't experienced yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you are almost done! Congrats on a job well done- all of you! We will finish in May but will do some light schoolwork through the summer a couple days a week. I am ready for a break! Oh, I love Above Rubies too! I especially enjoy the magazine and the Facebook page. So encouraging! You will have to let us know how you like the products you bought! I have had my eye on a few things to buy from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are doing really well. I'm pretty sure that if we even took a break now, we'd have done well for the year. We'll continue on through the summer though. Relaxed. We are watching 4 extra kids, so it seems that we are always washing cooking reading or watching something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new blog look! You are so on top of keeping things fresh. :) I hear ya on having an emotional week, except I feel like mine has been a few months! We have put off starting preschool until after our vacation. I just have not felt mentally ready, but at the same time I feel like I am getting resistance from the enemy. Hearing about your week is definitely encouraging and motivating. And I love the things you ordered off Above Rubies! I am always looking for new things to read and listen to try to keep me motivated and on track. I've never heard of Above Rubies, so I am off to check them out! Have a good week, Mrs. Taffy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I'm glad you can sense the resistance from the enemy, sometimes just knowing it's there is enough to give you the fight to overcome it/him! Have a great vacation!! Hugs!

      Delete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!