Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How to Link-Up

Hello my friends!  I have some friends in real life who need a little help learning how to link-up, so instead of sending them a long explanation in an email, I thought I would just write it up here.  Who knows, maybe others of you have the same question and are just too shy to ask!  :)

The first step is to go to the bottom of the post that is hosting the linky.  You’ll see some text that looks like this:

image

Click on the blue words that say “Click here to enter.”

This is what comes up:

image

You’ll put your cursor in that first field that says, “Link Title or Blog Title.”  This is where you will type the name of your blog post.  So for me I would write something like, “Garage Sale Treasures Week 1” 

The next field is the trickiest part of linking up.  This is the spot to put the address of your blog post.  So you’ll need to go to your blog and click on the title of your blog post about your Garage Sale Treasures.   Highlight the address and copy it.

It would look something like this:

http://www.mylifeonataffypull.blogspot.com/2012/04/garage-sale-treasure-is-back.html  

This is the link to my actual post about the stuff I found.  I copied it from the browser bar.

This is not the correct link:  http://www.mylifeonataffypull.blogspot.com/ 

This is just the link to my blog, not the link to the SPECIFIC blog post.

When you add your specific post link to the linky form, you’ll first have to erase that http that is included in the form…otherwise it will be there twice and your link won’t work.  Here’s what mine would look like:

image

I’ve asked for your email address so I can contact you if there’s a problem with your link, if you don’t want me to have it, just make something up!   After you’ve filled out the form click “Enter your link.”

image

Then you done!!  Now, in doing this I realized that I didn’t pick the linky form I really wanted.  I really like the ones with a little picture of each blog.  So, in future linky’s you’ll also see an option to add a thumbnail.  It looks like this:

image

My suggestion is that you click on “from web.”  That allows the linky to pull down pictures from your blog and then you just select which picture you want to represent your post.  Selecting “from file” is a little more complicated because you have to have a specific picture stored on your computer that has been compressed for things like this.  It’s not hard to do, but I don’t want to overwhelm you right now.  (You know who YOU are!)  lol

Go ahead and give it a try!  Use my blog to practice.  I can always delete any links that are wrong or if you do it more than once or whatever.  You can’t harm my blog or yours, as far as I know.  Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be linking up all over the internet! Let me know if you don’t understand something, but the best way to learn is to just try it!  So try it first, then ask me!!  I think you’ll do Terrific!   Happy Linking!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. Mrs Taffy, I know this does not have anything to do with the most recent post, anyhow, I am trying to do some planning for next homeschool year, we are not happy with the current method we are using, and know you had mentioned The Old Schoolhose before, and since I am a big fan, I thought I would ask your opinion on what you think is the better planner, of the ones they offer we will be homeschooling 7 next year, so we definately are looking to be as organized as possible. Thanks for the time, Sincerely, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim!!

      Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this! I am very happy with the Old Schoolhouse planner. I am just using the basic one, not the high school or elementary one. It has every form you could possibly need. My favorite pages are the ones that I can use to plan out what specifically each child is going to do each day. I can just type in the information and then print out the form, then I do it again for the next child.

      7 is a lot to homeschool! You could probably write a better blog post about it than me! I'll only be doing 4 next year and one will be in 10th grade and won't really need my "teaching." I will definitely be planning what she does each day though and I will continue to use the Old Schoolhouse planner to help me. And...I don't feel like I will have to buy the 2012/2013 version, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to use the same one I've been using this year! Great way to save some money!

      I hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  2. You make it sound so easy! Thanks for the tutorial! Is that a NEW photo of Marshmallow? So sweet I want to give her a big squeeze!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!