Monday, April 9, 2012

It’s About Time~Review

image

This my first experience with the AIMS Educational Foundation.  They specialize in hands-on activities that integrate math and science. 

image

We’ve had a lot of fun with this 155 page book.  It’s designed to teach children in grades K-2 how to tell and understand the concept of time.  Some of the concepts covered in It’s About Time are:

  • Developing a Sense of Time
  • Ordering Events
  • Qualifying Time
  • Developing Awareness of Clocks
  • Reading an Analog (this section is broken down into little intervals of Hour by Hour, Times by Five, Double Time, Name that Time, Two Timers, Minute by Minute, How Time Flies
  • Reading a digital clock
  • Elapsed Time
  • Playful and Intelligent Practice

Each of the these sections have hands-on suggested activities as well as worksheets that can be copied for your personal use.  There is no lesson plan included, we just covered one or two concepts a week depending on how quickly they picked gained comprehension.

My Thoughts

  • I love how each concept is broken down with activities to teach those specific concepts.
  • Laffy Taffy (4) did very well understanding these concepts.  We didn’t go through the whole book yet so I he’s not telling time, but I have no doubt he will be able to once we get to the end.
  • Teacher intensive, you have to prepare before you teach.  It’s a little much…in my opinion and difficult for me. 
  • The book was originally written for a public school classroom.  Therefore the activities have to be modified (by you) to work with your one or two students. 
  • My children didn’t recognize all of the images since some of the activities on the printables were public school related.  They figured it quickly enough, but it bears mentioning.
  • It’s About Time comes with a CD that contains some, but not all of the printable pages found in the book.  The CD was more confusing to me than helpful.  The book doesn’t mention when to go to the CD to retrieve the different activities.

It’s About Time sell for $21.95.  Both the book form with CD and the PDF downloadable version are the same price, I always prefer the book myself.  If time is a concept you need to teach your children, It’s About Time will get the job done!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

To see what other members of the Old Schoolhouse Crew thought about this and other books offered by AIMS, visit  the Crew Blog!

HSCrew140x180

Disclaimer-I was given the printed version of It’s About Time in exchange for my honest opinion.  All views expressed are my own and I was not paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!