Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Oh what a glorious spring!

Never, in all the years I’ve lived in Minnesota, have I ever enjoyed the spring more, nor been more thankful for its early arrival!  We have been busy little worker bees doing various projects outside.  Here’s a little tour of our backyard paradise.

010

Our “barn” all nicely painted.  Banana put the star up for me.  I love it!  It’s full of gardening stuff and bee hive equipment.

004

We got the greenhouse all put together last Saturday.  It was a group effort.  I was the organizer, part sorter, part fetcher and cheerleader.  Mr. Taffy was the strength and muscle, the foundation builder (it’s perfectly level and square) and the only one who could reach the peak to connect the roof pieces.  Chocolate was Mr. Taffy’s right hand-man, and builder and decipher of the directions, which had no words…only pictures.  Our kit was missing several of the pieces to complete the door installation.  That was a bummer…we are going to get more parts tonight.  Ideally, the green house wouldn’t be under trees, but we have so many trees in our backyard, that we just decided to hope for the best.

005

I made some more signs this past weekend too.  FUN!

002

Mr. Taffy and Chocolate built me these precious planter boxes for Laffy, Bubble Gum and Blue-Raspberry.  I want to paint them and add their names to the front, and possibly let them add some decorations.  These will be their very own “garden boxes” to plant in whatever their hearts desire.  We’ll keep them on my little deck, right across from my…

012

potting station.  When we bought the greenhouse the guy gave us this table as a bonus.  It’s too long to fit in my greenhouse, but it is making a perfect potting table!  The bin under the table is Blue-Raspberry’s worm farm and the garbage can to the right is full of potting soil.  So handy!

001

I started a bunch of flowers and green beans this week.  I planted nasturtiums, which are supposed to keep bugs out of the tomatoes and  can also be eaten.  Pretty color added to our salads!  And I planted many marigolds again, to keep bunnies out of the garden.  There’s pansy’s for pots and for eating and many other fun things.  I will put them all in the greenhouse once the door is completely installed.006

I planted 2 boxes of potatoes.  They have to go in a different box every year.  I had Marshmallow on my back when I did this project so Bubble Gum and Laffy Taffy got to help with the potato placement, I dug the ditches and then buried the potatoes.  I planted red, purple and Yukon gold.

009

Our rhubarb is doing really well.  That’s one of my new signs too.

011

See the glue through the window?  These tulips are growing right outside our homeschool room.  Can’t wait to see them bloom!

 

007

This is our strawberry bed that I am working on.  I dug up a bunch of plants and relocated them.  I need to keep thinning this out.  There are WAY too many in there.  If you know me in real life and are interested in some strawberry plants, let me know, I would be happy to share!

008

And finally, a picture of our Kiwi, we are so happy to see it return from its winter slumber.  You never know in MN if plants will come back, but EVERYTHING is this year!  Such a blessing!

I hope you enjoyed this partial tour of my garden.  I’ve been enjoying making a garden journal too, where I am recording everything I do and observations I’ve made.  I’ve also been gluing the different seed packets and plant tags in there to keep track of them.  It almost feels like scrapbooking!

How does your garden grow?

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your gardening! I really need to get into it, but have no clue where to start. Any ideas? I'd like to grow produce as well as some pretty things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn!!

      I'd start with hardy things, they don't require much work and they are very satisfying. We have fruit trees, berry bushes, rhubarb and asparagus as hardy's in our MN backyard. Also, herbs are really fun to start with, I bet most herbs would be hardy where you are too. They pretty much grow anywhere and they don't need much work. Just remember to plant mint in a container, because it will fill any available space, especially in your warm climate! :o)

      Delete
  2. I love it. Your garden is so cute. What a great potting station. The little guys will have so much fun with their gardens. My favorite part of your tour was your cute "barn". I love the star, it looks perfect up there.

    Oh, you mentioned marigolds at the perfect time for me. I had something(I assume it's a bunny) eat a whole row of peas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful! I wish I knew you in real life....I would totally take some strawberry plants off your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!