Friday, May 18, 2012

Heritage History/Ancient Greece~ Review

Photobucket

“Our object is to build on students' natural curiosity about the past with books that are both informative and engaging.”

 

I’m so excited to share with you this CD from Heritage History that I recently reviewed!  Now, normally I don’t like books on CD or in an ebook format, but I really like this CD and it’s treasury of books, timelines, maps and study aides!Photobucket

“The Ancient Greece collection covers Greek history from the earliest days of myth and legend, through the Golden age of Athens, to the Greco-Roman Era. Of special interest to older students is a selection of simplified classics based on the works of renowned poets, historians and playwrights.
Includes 46 books, 50+ maps, teaching aids, and a Study Guide”  (From the website)

I inserted the CD into my computer with a little bit of trepidation…you know, considering how I normally feel.  But as I was looking over the different menus and read through the Introduction I was sold!  Here’s some of the things I love about this Heritage History CD:

  • The CD is designed to look like you are in your web browser (familiar) but it’s totally independent of the internet!  (AWESOME!)
  • You can copy, print and share these books on your eReader.  More about this in a bit.  No copy write violations here!
  • There is a specific guide to help you get the books from your CD onto your eReader.
  • Loaded with Living Books for all levels of learning.
  • Organized and easy to navigate.
  • Schedules and notebooking pages included.

Okay, so I really was skeptical about getting these files onto my Kindle Fire.  But I followed the directions (complete with images of what my computer should look like as I was going through the steps) and I was able to transfer the books!  I was so excited!  And what’s even better is that since these books aren’t under any copy write law I can also put these books onto my daughter’s kindle with the same ease!  Cool!  I was concerned that maybe the directions would be a little outdated, maybe the directions wouldn’t work with Windows 7 or a Kindle Fire, but it all worked perfectly!

Heritage History claims to line up with the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling, but I would argue that it also lines us with my Classically Relaxed approach.  Geared toward children in 4-12 grade there are charts which explain reading level and length.  There is also a handy chart to track reading hours (they recommend 3 hours a week) and another one that summarizes what each book is about.

Truly, this little CD gives what they call, “a bang for your buck!”  Only $24.99!  I’m thinking these CD’s are going on my homeschool proposal from now on!

To see what my Crew mates thought of this and other history CD’s by Heritage History, visit the Crew Blog!

HSCrew140x180

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclaimer-I was given a copy of Heritage History Ancient Greece CD for the purpose of this review.  All opinions expressed here are my own and I was not paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!