Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Mean Mom

So I got a little fed up.  Fed up with little people constantly asking to watch a movie.  Every time they were bored or unhappy they were asking to watch a movie.  It’s summer for goodness sake!!  So in a moment of passion/fed-upness/sanity, I packed them up.  All the DVD’s.  Bye bye!

Now you see them…

008

And now you don’t!!009

But I did even better than that.  Since I didn’t want to see that big empty shelf begging for more DVD’s and hear more complaints about where they went, I packed the shelf up too.  The attic is now it’s home.

010

Doesn’t that look better?!  It’s been a tremendous blessing!  They still watch things from time to time, PBS, The Brady Bunch.  (hehehe) It’s not the first thing they ask for anymore when they are bored!  (Now it’s food.) Summer time is for playing outside, sunburns and mosquito bites, dirty feet and sweaty heads.  I might be a mean mom, but my children won’t waste their summer in front of the TV, I’m bound and determined!!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. Good job! I'm of the mean mommy camp also. Except for right now. We have very bad air quality due to nearby wild fires. My children have to stay inside so I allos t.v. but in limited quantities which still qualifies me as mean mommy in my children's eyes. lol

    Good job standing up and taking charge of their summer! They'll thank you for it later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more good reason for year-round school! (just kidding kids!). Does your library have a summer reading program? That's really fun and competitive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for you! We are having the same struggle here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one! I packed up H3's dvds a few weeks ago, partially for attitude issues with her and partially for the constant whining about wanting a movie. I couldn't take it anymore! We've had a lot more fun since then, though I did bring back out a couple so I could get a break to lay down during the day (otherwise they'd still be packed).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! Good for you! And good for your kids! We have been so thankful that we don't have a TV and have limited movies to "movie night" once a week.

    We have enjoyed watching some "oldies" on Amazon when we have a rainy day or to enjoy a treat like Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch, Cosby Show, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, Facts of Life.

    Blessings to you and your movie-free family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you!

    Wasn't it Winston Churchill who made a profound statement about tv and society? I will need to find that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you.

    I'm all about those kind of "mean mom" decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!!! We do not watch TV, so our kids watch movies occasionally, outside our friday family movie night. BUT, we we are taking a break from school, which normally keeps them busy, and I do notice a request to watch movies more often and it is already getting to me. I told the kids we were going to detox from movies..I love your drastic move. Maybe I will get that bold!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!