Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemaking Helps~Chicken

Picture3

Since I wasn’t taught how to be a homemaker and never even prepared a whole chicken (you know the kind that comes fresh in a bag, with or without the innards) until I was 28, I thought I’d share some things I do to make my life easier.

Today’s topic:  Chicken. 

I cook so MUCH!  I’m always cooking, always thinking about the next meal, always planning ahead.  One of the things that I have started doing that has a been a real blessing to me is preparing the chicken ahead of time and using it all week.

Like this morning, I usually buy those big packages of fresh chicken breasts from Sam’s Club.  Actually, I buy them by the case, but I freeze each tray and then use them throughout the month.  Last night I thawed out a big package of those fresh/frozen chicken breasts and this morning before breakfast I put the whole package in the crockpot, with salt, pepper and garlic. 

002

I cooked them on high until we were done with our morning studies, about 11:00 am.  I let them cool while we had lunch, then I cut them up and put them in a container then into the fridge. 

004

The great thing about doing this is that now whenever I need chicken for various things I’m making this week, it’s already prepared!  This week I’ll use the chicken for:  Mexican Chili, BBQ chicken Pizza, Chicken Fried Rice and I’ll use any left over for a quiche on Friday morning. 

If I’m feeling really ambitious I’ll get out both my crockpots and put a whole fryer into each of them and let them cook on low overnight while I’m sleeping.  Then in the morning, I let them cool while we eat breakfast and then debone them after breakfast, clean up the dishes and have a ton of chicken for: Soup, Enchiladas, Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, and more! 

Either way, it helps me tremendously when it comes time to actually make dinner.   And I find that I can make the chicken last longer this way too, one package of chicken breasts can last our family of 9 a whole week this way!  A little goes a long way!

Happy Homemaking!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to do this too. Even though I don't have so many mouths to feed, even for two every night I wonder, what can I make that's interesting and easy??? prepared chicken would help a lot. tacos, soup, enchilladas, casseroles, curry, etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do this with whole chickens mostly as they are cheaper. Throw in some carrots, celery, and onion and you will also have great chicken broth.smilz

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!