The season is upon us, not only the holiday season but the cold and flu season. Last week we had a little round of minor colds and it made me realize that I wasn’t prepared to deal with it. I like to have some things on hand to deal with sickness and get us well as naturally and quickly as possible. No flu shots here.
And even though it was a financial sacrifice, the trade off is worth it. I could have easily spent as much in copays at the doctor’s office.
Here’s what I keep on hand for the cold and flu season:
- Odorless garlic-Garlic is a natural germ fighter. I give this to each member of my family except the baby, every morning with breakfast.
- Berry Well-I just love this stuff, at the first sign of a cold I’m giving this to my children by the spoonful. It’s a blend of raw honey and elderberries and propolis. I think the honey and berries must be fermented somewhat because there is a small percentage of alcohol, though no more than found in a ripe banana.
- Bee’s Aide-At the first complaint of a sore throat I’m giving squirts of Bee’s Aide, more raw honey and other natural ingredients. This stuff works particularly well on me and I can usually get a sore throat healed within 24 hours. It’s intense, sometimes makes me gag, but it’s better than getting a strep test and enduring a round of antibiotics!!
- Winter Breeze-This is a non-petroleum based chest rub that I have been comfortable using on my newborns. It’s great at night time when they have stuffy noses or a chesty cough.
- Eucalyptus Oil- This is by far the best thing, along with Tea Tree Oil to put in the Vaporizer to ensure a good nights sleep when little ones are stuffed up and uncomfortable.
My two favorite teas for the cold and flu season are Echinacea Complete Care and Throat Coat. I particularly like Echinacea and the children love the Throat Coat, stir in some raw honey and you have a powerful combination for comfort and healing. I bought a case of Echinacea tea from Azure!
I will write up another post explaining what I do when specific childhood illnesses rear their unwelcome heads. I’m not going to give medical advice, just share what works for us.
P.S. I wanted to mention that I am a Beeyoutiful Affiliate, I’ve used their products for years and found out that I can make a little extra money for being an affiliate. Why not? If you decide to try any of the products that I mentioned in this post, would you consider ordering through my affiliate link? Thanks so much!