Monday, November 5, 2012

Thanksgiving School

For the few weeks that precede Thanksgiving I like to put aside the normal text books that we use to do the majority of our learning and spend some time studying the holiday.

This year I will be using In the Hands of Child Thanksgiving Project Pack.

 image

I bought this awhile ago and have been saving it for just this time.  I also got a million books from the library and added them to my own collection of Early American History and this is what I’m going to use:

045

The day after October 31st I found some Thanksgiving craft kits at 50% off at Walmart, I also found stickers and paper in the dollar section at Target and I printed coloring pages off the internet.  The Lapbook activities last for about a week and half, so we’ll use the other days to do some fun activities and on the final day I’m going to make soft pretzels with the kids.  The children will also do their normal math lessons everyday.

I like doing stuff like this, it kind of breaks up the monotony that I sometimes feel while homeschooling.  I can’t teach this way all the time because it’s time consuming, but it’s also so fun and so memorable! 

Do you have any special Thanksgiving school plans?  I would love to hear about them! 

Hoping the Spirit of Thankfulness will reign in my home,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy! sounds fun. I bet your students are bouncing off the walls in anticipation. It would be fun to make a meal like the first Thanksgiving. (venison, fish lobster?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed off the Thanksgiving Preschool Printables from Confessions of a Homeschooler, so I'm planning to use a few of those along with some crafts. I'm hoping to do a "thankful tree" with pictures of things we're thankful for. And lots of baking, of course!

    This week we're focusing on learning things about our country, and both munchkins are coming with me to vote tomorrow. I found some coloring pages for H3 online and we're going to do some of our own voting around the house, like which things taste better, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!