Friday, December 7, 2012

Easy Salsa Beans~Slow Cooker Recipe

Here’s an easy recipe for you to make during the busy holiday season.  Since I love beans so much, I get excited when I find a recipe that will incorporate dry beans.  I don’t know where I found this recipe originally but I changed it to suit our needs and don’t want to forget how I did it!  (smile)

036

I started the night before, in two separate glass bowls I soaked two cups of each black beans and pinto beans.  If you aren’t sure how to do this, it’s really easy: measure out the beans, add a little water to the bowl, swish it around with your hands, dump out the dusty water and add fresh water to cover the beans plus another inch. The beans are going to soak up all that water and may need more before you go to bed.

In the morning take some chicken breast, either raw or cooked and put it in the bottom of the crock pot. Next add the beans, that you drained first, don’t forget to drain them first.  Then over the top of that add a 32oz box of organic chicken broth, a jar of salsa (I used some that I canned during the summer, 2 cups of frozen corn and a can of tomato sauce.  Put the lid on and turn it on high.  Using cooked chicken, my beans were soft by Noon, I started cooking it around 7ish, so then I just turned it down to warm for the rest of the day.  If you use raw chicken it might take longer, you’ll know it’s done when you stir the pot and the chicken comes up falling apart. 

038

I served this with tortillas chips, cheese and sour cream.  It’s so delicious and EVERYBODY gobbled it up.  I’ll make burritos with the left overs and freeze them for lunches!

003

Here’s your shopping/pantry list:

2 cups dry pinto beans

2 cups dry black beans

Chicken breast-either 4 raw or whatever you have already cooked up.

1 32oz. box of organic Chicken Broth

1 Jar of Salsa

2 cups of frozen organic Corn

1 can of tomato sauce

Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream

I hope this wholesome recipe helps a little bit during this busy season!  Even when we are really busy they still need to eat don’t they?  (smile)

004

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good and easy. I think I'll try it. Is the high chair retired? I like Marshmallow's new chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I still have it. I just like this chair when I'm working in the kitchen. The high chair is in the dining room. She'll probably be sitting in it until somebody moves out. There's no more room at the table. :)

      Delete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!