Monday, February 4, 2013

Longings

  • simplicity
  • worship
  • a thankful heart-always
  • peace regardless of what’s going on around me
  • encouragement

These are my longings.  Of course there may be others, but some are too private to blog about and others are too silly share.  I find myself thinking about these particular longings quite often.

Simplicity.

Specifically this applies to my home life and my homemaking.  I desire to streamline things in such a way that they don’t require much thought in order to carry them out, like meal planning and cleaning, like clothing and homeschool.  Each thing can be so time consuming, so all consuming.  I long to simplify.  This is why I am constantly purging.  Purging closets, purging cupboards, always purging.  I can’t fight with clutter and the chaos so instead I give it to somebody else to deal with. 

Worship.

I long to have a life that is the aroma of worship.  In everything thing I do, do it to the glory of God.  As far as I can tell my stuff doesn’t glorify God in any way.  It’s just stuff.  But my words, my actions, the grace I give and the love I share, those things speak to worship, speak to God’s goodness and fullness in my life.  That’s the worship I long for.  I long to have a song on my lips, one that doesn’t glorify me or my life, but one that glorifies Him, the giver of all life.

A Thankful Heart.

I’ve always had a thankful heart, always understood the importance of thankfulness as far as God’s kingdom is concerned but what else?  Is it enough?  My dear friend gave me a book recently, a book that I’ve had in my Amazon wishlist since before Christmas and it is a book that is changing my life.  Please, if you long for the fullness of God, read this book.  Grasp onto this thankfulness, change and be filled.

Peace.

It’s not a secret and I don’t think I’m alone in this longing.  What mom doesn’t long for peace in her home, but more than in my home I long for it in my person.  I’m tired of the turmoil, tired of the roller coaster, tired of worry.  To be  able to transport myself to peace, no matter what is going on around me, that is my longing.  To rest in the fullness of God, to cling to His peace that passes my understanding, that’s where I want to be.  Always. 

Encouragement.

As carnal as it may seem, I do long for it.  For a little word of thanks, a little good job honey, a little thanks for being my friend.  God’s word is the greatest encouragement though isn’t it? And so even when I’m feeling needy and wishing for a little earthy encouragement God’s word never fails and I think the reason I love Matthew 28:20 so much is because of that promise that Jesus will never leave me, that to me is the ultimate encouragement.

The Battle is the Lord’s,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to say I enjoyed your post today. It's funny that you mentioned "the peace that passes my understanding", because that's what I always pray for. It's one of my most urgent prayers on the days when I feel like I'll never experience peace again.

    I also like to remember His promise in John 14:27. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

    He also promises that "He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge." Ps. 91:4. That is another of my favorite verses. What a mighty God we serve! He cares for us as tenderly as we care for our children. Even more so.

    I know we ALL long for encouragement. That's one of the reasons I like your blog so much, it encourages me to keep going, and not to become weary in doing good. I know by January, I'm certainly weary of homeschooling. It feels like it's all downhill after Christmas.

    Simplying is a good idea. It's always a goal of mine. Unfortunately, sometimes simplifying seems like a never-ending chore. I believe my things are multiplying on their own when I'm not looking. I don't know what the deal is with me and craft supplies. I keep thinking "Someday, I'll have time to do this." Then lately it dawned on me just how old I am, and I had to rethink the number of things I have in my stash. Even I live to be 150, I'll never get to it all. Oh, well. I still like looking at it and daydreaming.

    Praying for you,

    Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lena! Much love to you my friend!

      Delete
  2. Good goals. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you mention the name of the book you're reading and I missed it? The small group I'm in just started a book on encouragement. Along with His encouraging Word, we've read about how our Lord is our always present cheerleader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! There is link in the paragraph to the book on Amazon. It's called 1000 Gifts by Ann VosKamp. It's an AMAZING book!

      Delete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!