Friday, July 19, 2013

Raspberry Lemon Mini Muffins {THM-S}

001

Since faithfully doing Trim and Healthy Mama for a month, I finally felt confident enough to be a little creative with a recipe from the book.  I’m not a very creative cook, I like recipes and directions.  Then if it doesn’t come out good…well, I can blame it on the recipe!  ha!  Good ole’ pride is the cause of that I’m pretty sure.  Anyway, this recipe is on page 264, in the chapter called Muffins, Breads and Pizza Crusts: Light White Muffins.

Here’s my adaption:

Mini Raspberry Lemon Muffins

2/3 cup coconut flour

1 tsp. baking powder

6 eggs

8 tsp. of Truvia (I used 8 little baggies, you can use more if you want too, I was trying to be frugal)

4 tbsp. coconut oil

3 1/2 tbsp. vanilla almond milk, unsweetened (I’m sure you could use anything here, coconut milk, half and half, etc.)

1 tsp. lemon extract

Zest from one lemon

Raspberries (I used fresh but I think frozen would be fine, they just might need to bake longer.)

1)  Add coconut flour and baking powder to food processor.  Pulse to combine.

2)  Add the rest of the ingredients except the raspberries.  Blend until smooth.

3)  Add one raspberry to each mini muffin cup.  Put a plop of muffin mix on top of raspberry.

4) Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

I haven’t had much experience baking with coconut flour.  I wasn’t sure how the muffins should look when baked.  I just kept checking them and lightly touching the tops to see if they were “set.”  I let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes and then popped them out to finish cooling on the cooling rack.  They are much less crumbly than I expected.

My plan is to take these to the beach on Tuesday’s.  Strawberry and I usually have a salad with turkey bacon and sliced turkey lunch meat.  We’ll add these little muffins (3 each) and we won’t feel like we are missing out on dessert! 

I’m not sure these will pass the hubby-test, he doesn’t like the taste of coconut, but the children all liked them.  I had to let them taste them, but I doubt I’ll be sharing any more after that!  ha! 

Less of me, more of HIM,

Mrs. Taffy

P.S.  If you are new to THM, the reason these are an S (fat) is because of the eggs and coconut oil.  That’s why this pairs good with a salad with salad dressing, which would also be an S (Fat).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!