Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Teach Them Diligently, Omaha NE

In May we were so happy to go on a family vacation to Omaha, Nebraska.  It’s been years since we’ve been on vacation!  It was such a busy time with our 20th wedding anniversary and graduation for Chocolate Taffy, but it all worked out really well.

20130530_101042

One significant thing we did while in Nebraska was visit one of the college’s that Chocolate is interested in going to:  University of Nebraska, Lincoln.  It was fascinating to get a tour of the school and talk over things with the head of the Engineering Department.  One of the things we learned is that not many of the college credits Chocolate earned during high school were needed for his Engineering Degree.  That didn’t discourage Chocolate and I too much.  He still needed foreign language and English Comp. for high school and he did get a good two years of learning how to deal with a college level work load. 

Another fun thing we did while in Nebraska was visit their world famous Henry Doorly Zoo.  I had heard plenty of testimony's of the awesomeness of this zoo, we had to check it out.  It was INCREDIBLE!

001

012         018

It was incredibly hand’s on.  There weren’t little computer everywhere to play with.  We got to experience the habitats and in some exhibits experience the animals.

027

There were so many hidden treasures in this zoo.  Bats were flying around freely.  Birds too.  There were rivers to cross and rocks to balance on.

042

063        083

109

The kids could buy food to feed the Koi.  There were hundreds if not thousands of them.  Amazing sight to behold!

Besides all the wonderful encouragement of going to a Homeschool Conference we also learned about something very exciting.  But I’ll save that for another post.  (Gotta love a cliff hanger…)

The Battle is the Lord’s,

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. We love zoos! The Henry Doorly Zoo looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Zoo is so amazing. So glad your family was able to enjoy it. We go at least once a year! We live in central Nebraska. Thank you for visiting our awesome state!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is originally from Omaha (and a huge Husker fan), so we've been to that zoo several times. I must say, it is the best zoo I've ever been to, and I've been to at least 9 others in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to several zoos as well, and I TOTALLY agree with you!! So nice to hear from you Debbie!!

      Delete
    2. I wrote a post the other day on my latest charity shop finds (hadn't written about that for ages), so I was searching through your blog to see if you still had a link-up for garage sale finds. :) Meanwhile, I ended up reading several of your latest blog posts. I love that book rack thing you found at a garage sale, by the way (you mentioned it in a different post). Great find!

      Delete
    3. Hi Debbie! I tried to leave a comment on your blog about your thrift shop finds...blogger and I are NOT getting along, you may have read that post? Anyway, my post said how my daughter and I are planning a trip out there one day where we bring empty suitcases so we can visit all the book shops and charity shops! Maybe even have tea with you! :) We've got BIG dreams! lol

      Delete
  5. Yes, I did read that post. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble--how frustrating! Haha, you and your daughter are always welcome to come have tea with me in England! I'll take you to all the charity shops and tell you all the best places to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!