I wish I would have added a little low-fat cheese to my chili before I took the photo, it would have been so much prettier!
Turkey Veggie Chili
1-2 pounds lean ground turkey
4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
1 large white onion (chopped)
1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
4 Large Carrots (sliced) (Carrots aren’t plan approved, but I eat them anyway because my body likes them and I personally don’t believe of all the things I’ve eat in my life that carrots are what made me fat! lol )
2 Medium Zucchini's (sliced/chopped)
1-28 oz. diced tomatoes or 2-15 oz. cans of tomato sauce (my family doesn’t like the texture of tomatoes)
2 can of black beans
2 can of other beans (I used white kidney beans)
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Cumin
Sea Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. xylitol or Truvia (opt.)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1) Heat olive oil in soup pot. Sauté onions and garlic, being careful not to burn garlic.
2) Add chopped peppers and sauté a few more minutes.
3) Add ground turkey, brown the turkey in the onion mixture and add all the spices except the salt.
4) Add carrots and zucchini once turkey is browned and mix together well.
5) Pour beans and tomatoes and add any water if chili needs thinning.
6) Salt to taste and allow to simmer for a couple hours.
The non-THMer’s in my house got some nice organic tortilla chips along with their chili. I also served low-fat shredded cheese and fat-free sour cream. This is an E because of the beans and the tomato sauce and probably the carrots too, but I ignore those. (smile)
I liked this recipe for several reasons: Tons of veggies, high-protein, good-carbs, went together quickly, Mr. Taffy had seconds and it was so tasty that even Marshmallow LOVED it!
Less of me and more of HIM,